15 | when worlds collide

I place the bunny ears on Jack's head, and he looks absolutely appalled. "There," I say, bubbling over with excitement, clapping my hands together. Jack reaches up to feel his black silk bunny ears. "We're ready."

Jack turns us both around so we're looking in my bathroom mirror. Wrapping his arms around my waist, he examines our costumes. My lacy black lingerie under a short silk red robe. He smiles as he adjusts the Captain's hat in my head.

He's a lot less enthusiastic about his own costume. Short black shorts. No shirt. White cuffs around his wrists. A black bow tie around his neck. And last, but certainly not least, bunny ears on his head.

"Hugh Hefner and a frightening playboy bunny," he says with little zeal in his voice. I barely contain a laugh as I turn around and adjust his bow tie. As funny as his costume is, he still looks sexy as hell. If anyone can pull off this costume, it's him. I never thought I'd be attracted to a bunny, but here I am.

If Jack picked out his own costume, it definitely would not have been this. But he's going along with it like a champ, which only adds to my attraction to him. I have a feeling he'd be willing to dress as a Disney Princess if he knew it'd make me happy.

"So where are you taking me tonight?" I ask, wondering how we'll dodge Archer tonight. Whatever Jack has been invited to, Archer has been too. And I don't think Archer's first exposure to us should be when I'm in lingerie and Jack is wearing bunny ears.

"Some place called The Bunker. They're throwing a Halloween party that's supposed to be fun," he says, toying with the ribbon of my robe. "A few guys on the team were talking about it. Not many people know about it though. And I doubt Archer's gonna give up a frat party for some underground place."

"Sounds . . . illicit," I tease, enthralled by the idea of this secretive place. "Are we gonna be able to get in?"

"Baby, with you looking like that we can get in anywhere," he scoffs then kisses me. "Ready to hop outta here?"

"You can hop out of here. I think I'll just walk," I joke, kissing him again.

Jack wraps his arm around my shoulders and flicks my sailor's hat. "Don't get your whiskers in a twist," I say, preening as I reposition my hat and we walk out of my dorm.

I don't bother looking up The Bunker place on the way there, too busy texting Mya about her plans tonight. I feel both elated and worried when she says she's at a party with Archer: elated that Archer will be out of our hair but worried that Mya is just getting herself hurt.

When Jack stops and begins to park, I look out the window, eager to get my first glimpse of this mysterious place. The gears in my head begin to turn as I realize where we are.

I was sitting outside this place just after the semester started, pondering whether to wait to return Levi's jacket. I remember when I asked if he had any plans for Halloween, he said he was performing with his band tonight.

My blood runs cold for a second, but I don't know why.

Jack gets out of the car and opens my door for me. I'm still slack-jawed at being back here, and Jack holds out his hand for me to take. "You okay?" He asks, helping me out of the car.

I nod and press myself to his side, feeling the cold hit me. "Yeah, just taking this place in. It looks cool."

The line to get inside isn't that long and it takes us less than fifteen minutes to get in. Jack pays his and my cover charge, and we make our way down the dark hallway that's already filled with people in costumes. Some of my unexpected nerves wear off when Jack's bunny ears get caught in a fake cobweb. I try not to notice the girls who let their gazes linger on him for a few seconds too long. I place my hand on his firm chest as we walk.