40 | think of me

"Scarlett."

I tear my eyes from the skyline and focus my attention back on Levi sitting across the table from me. He gives me an amused smile, the wind musing his hair as he sits back in his seat. "Am I boring you?" He says, absentmindedly dragging his finger over the condensation on his water glass.

I shake my head, ridding myself of whatever I was thinking of when I zoned out. None of it can be changed—it's all in the past. "No, I was just admiring the view," I say, leaning forward to indicate that he has my full attention now. "The sunset is gorgeous from up here."

His smile grows the slightest bit as he looks at me, although I'm just sitting here. I tilt my head, wondering if there's something on my face. "What?" I say, blushing. "If you're laughing at spaghetti sauce on my face, I'm gonna kill you."

The wind carries his laugh across the table. "There's nothing on your face," he says. "Except that entire chunk of broccoli between your two front teeth, but it's not that noticeable."

I gasp and cover my mouth, feeling for this alleged piece of broccoli with my tongue. Levi watches me, entertained. "Crimson, I'm kidding." He leans forward and removes my hand from over my mouth. "You look great. Especially sitting next to the sunset like that."

I look down at my shoulder and realize that the colorful light of the sunset has flooded me in a mix of golden yellow and orange. My green dress seems to almost be glowing with the flattering light. "You clean up pretty nice yourself," I say back to him. "I didn't think you'd actually follow through with dressing up."

He looks down at his clothes, making a show of adjusting his dress shirt. "I think this shirt brings out the color of my eyes, don't you think?"

I laugh. "Does your light blue shirt bring out the dark brown of your eyes? For sure," I say.

"Perfect. I told the saleslady that I wanted the perfect shirt to highlight their shit-brown color."

"Hey, they're not shit-brown. More like" —I lean a bit closer to examine his eyes—"actually, shit-brown is probably the best way to describe them," I concede. I take a bite of broccoli. "Sorry."

"Not all of us can have grey eyes like you, Crimson," Levi teases. "When we first met, I thought they were contacts."

I shake my head. "People tend to think that until they meet my parents. I have my dad's eyes."

"Yeah, and I noticed your brother does too," Levi points out. "I think I'd be biased to say I like them on you the most."

"I would hope so. Unless you have the hots for my dad or Archer."

Levi laughs and shrugs. "You never know. I might've felt a spark when your dad shook my hand. I feel like he'd treat me right."

"You'd have to get through my mom before you have any shot at my dad," I say.

"You're right." Levi thinks for a second. "I guess I'll just go for your brother then. Think he's into dark hair?"

"Good luck with that." Then I suddenly think of the long-running joke that I've had with Archer. "If Archer were to ever turn gay for someone, it'd be for Jack," I laugh.

Half of My Heart ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें