55 | go the distance

Commentary for the game slips through the speakers as I speed down the interstate, desperate to make it to the venue before the game ends. I vaguely listen when the radio commentators mention Jack or Archer's name, but other than that, my mind is somewhere else.

On what the hell I'm going to do once I get there. If Jack will even give me the time of day.

I step on the gas, channelling every single driving lesson my Dad has given me and praying that I don't get pulled over. I'm ten minutes out from the stadium when our team loses their lead with less than four minutes on the clock. I press the gas until it reaches the floorboards.

Luck is apparently on my side, granting me a parking spot in the row just in front of the entrance. I bolt inside to the empty ticket booth.

"You know the game has less than three minutes left, right?" the man behind the glass points out.

"Yes, I know," I huff impatiently. "I need to know if there are any tickets left under Archer Maddox. Now." Even though Archer only reserved two tickets since I said I wasn't gonna come, a part of me is hoping that he saved one for me anyway.

"Name?"

"Scarlett Maddox." Just for emphasis, I show him my ID.

"Um" —the guy then proceeds to take his damn sweet time typing into his computer— "the two tickets for Maddox have already been claimed. None under Scarlett. Sorry."

I don't reply, captured by the television above the booth broadcasting the game going on inside. I watch on the screen as Archer sinks a two, bringing them up to a one point lead. Cheers erupt from inside, and I deflate, ready to give up. There are only about two and a half minutes left on the clock now.

"Wait," the man says as I'm about to walk away with my head hung low, "Scarlett Maddox?"

I nod.

His eyebrow quirks up as he reads something off the screen. "You actually do have a ticket reserved for you. Reserved by Griffin, though, not Maddox." He rifles through a small file and holds a ticket through the hole in the glass. "Do you want—"

I grab the ticket from his hand, stuttering out a 'thank you' as I rush through security and into the stadium. Quickly, I spot Haley and Mrs. Griffin. Squeezing in front of a few annoyed people as I make my way toward the empty seat next to them. I do my best to lay low to keep my family from noticing me. I'll talk to them afterward, but right now, I can't take the time to explain why I'm here.

I'm expecting surprised looks and a barrage of questions from them when I sit down, but all I get is a sly, almost knowing look from Haley. She nudges her mom, who smiles when she takes notices. "She finally claimed the ticket," Haley says to her mom, a satisfied grin on her face. "Only took a couple years, huh."

"Haley, don't give her a hard time," Mrs. Griffin scolds. "What matters is she's here now. Isn't that right, Scarlett?"

I nod, giving a weak smile before turning back to the court, mentally trying to piece together what they're saying. I finally claimed the ticket? Does that mean?....

No, the extra ticket Jack has reserved at every single one of his games couldn't be for me. It's for his dad. There's no way . . .

I single out the dirty blond head of hair among the sea of players, staring at his strong profile and feeling a swell of disbelief and longing in my chest. My eyes focus on his as he concentrates on the high-stakes game at hand. His lips are parted slightly as he stares up at the paused scoreboard, a million thoughts probably running through his head.

He's been saving a ticket to every one of his basketball games . . . for me.

The moment that thought fully settles in my head, calming some of my doubts about coming here, his gaze traces up the stands absentmindedly before landing on me. Immediately, his eyes clear and his back straightens with obvious surprise.