9 | A Phone Call

I did a double—no, scratch that—triple take at the phone that I'm clutching in my hands and feeling the nonstop vibrations. The abruptness of the timing roots me to the ground as I struggle to think if this is happening for real or simply just my imagination.

But as the phone rings over five times, I realize that this isn't a dream.

He's really calling me.

Swallowing hard, I hit the green button and hold the phone to my ear. My voice is shaking and barely a whisper.

"H-hello?"

There's a monumental pause on the other end of the line. As seconds pass, the silence stretches and I can't help but wonder if this is a phone call he has made by accident. Or maybe he's trying to mess around with me again, like how he did back in school.

I decide to try again. "Kyle?"

I'm met with silence once more. Just as I'm about to hang up the call, I hear a faint intake of breath on the other end of the line.

"Riley."

A voice replies to me, one that's quiet and thoughtful. The way he utters my name, so gentle unlike the previous times, startles me and my heart skips a beat.

"Hey," I reply softly.

A couple of seconds pass before he speaks what's on his mind, revealing a part of the reason behind this sudden phone call.

"You finally pick up."

The way he emphasizes the word 'finally' catches my attention. No matter how hard he tries to conceal it with a sardonic tone, I sense an underlying sadness and hurt. With this knowledge, something tugs at my heart—guilt—and I can't stop myself from wanting to know more about him. About us.

"How often do you call me?"

At this, he lets out a hysterical laughter. "I don't remember."

I hear noises in the background and they grow louder. Music, voices and laughter. I imagine him sitting on the couch at somebody's house; drinking and hanging out with his friends. But instead of partying like he should, why did he suddenly decide to call me?

A tense silence sits between us until I'm the first one who breaks it. "What's wrong?"

My question earns me another wild laughter. He sounds out of it, and I realize he's completely wasted. "What's wrong?" he repeats my words, his voice thick with sarcasm. "You're really going to ask me that? I can think of several things that have been troubling me all day, but they all point back to you, Riley. You."

Anger edges into his words, but instead of feeling accused, worry fills my chest. "Kyle, are you...drunk?"

He ignores my question and continues rambling on angrily. "I still can't believe what you did to me. You disappeared a year ago with no explanation. I searched for you everywhere. Called you but you didn't pick up. Turned up at your house, only to find it vacant. Went to your aunt's place, and she didn't have a clue where you and your mother were."

I wince at the bitterness in his tone. I'm in a bind, and this conversation isn't something we should have over the phone, so I decide to ask his whereabouts. "Where are you?"

He doesn't seem to hear me again. "I tried everything within my means, Riley. Just when I thought I'm over you, you showed up at school and ruined everything."

"Kyle–"

His words are becoming spiteful and hurtful to the ear. "And then you pretended not to know me and had the audacity to ask what wrong did you do?" He snorts out in pure disgust. "You are hands-down the most selfish and heartless girl I've ever met. You can't expect to waltz in and out of my life like nobody's business."