23 | Relationships

Kyle takes me home before midnight, just right in time, before Aunt Abbie might call the police on me. He walks me right up to the porch with his hands stuffed into his pockets, eyes staring at his feet.

It's funny how we were so comfortable back at the beach, but now that the thought of us being officially together in a relationship finally sinks in, neither of us knows how to behave around each other.

Deep down in my heart, I'm afraid that I might do something wrong that will ruin things between us.

And Kyle feels the same way as I do. That's understandable, considering he has to deal with a girlfriend who's currently suffering from amnesia.

Baby steps, I remind myself. Baby steps.

An awkward silence settles between us. I watch him through my eyelashes, and he mirrors me. After several seconds, his hand reaches for my face, brushing his fingers across my heated cheeks.

"Don't worry about a thing," he tells me. "And call me if you need me." He inclines his head at the jacket that I'm still wearing. "Keep it."

I blush and nod. "Okay."

Kyle hesitates, looking as if he has something else to add, but he decides not to. "Good night, Riley."

"Good night, Kyle."

He watches me enter the house before he leaves. Shutting the door behind me, I lean against it and finally let out the breath that I didn't know I was holding in.

Is this how we're going to be like in the future?

Because I don't think I can survive if my heart continuously pounds against my ribcage this hard.

I shake my head wildly, pushing myself off the door. Just then, Aunt Abbie appears at the stairs in her sleeping dress. I speed past her, telling her a quick 'good night' before heading for my bedroom. Once I'm inside, I plop down on the bed and stare up at the ceiling.

In my mind, I'm recalling the events that have happened in the last couple of hours. It's strange how I'm feeling a bundle of emotions; giddy and happy because of Kyle, but terror eats me like tendrils wrapping at the back of my mind.

When Monday comes and I see Taylor again, what am I going to do? Avoid him for the rest of my life? I can't imagine looking at his face without recalling the way he had assaulted me and how his hands left a revolting imprint across my skin. No matter how much I scrub my arms, it doesn't seem effective.

I change into my pajamas, but I can't sleep for the rest of the night. I toss and turn in bed. The pitter-patter of the rain on my window isn't helping either, but at some point, I give in to the fatigue. I remember clinging onto Kyle's jacket, mainly because it provides me with a sense of security.

At this rate, I don't think I'm ever going to return it to him.

When morning arrives, the buzzing in my phone wakes me up. Blaire's name appears on the screen and I answer immediately.

"Blaire?"

She sounds afraid. "Riley," she groans. "I'm so screwed. Help me."

The panic in her voice makes me roll into a seating position on the edge of my bed. "What's wrong?"

A loud sigh comes from her. "Everything," she sniffs. "Last night, I was drunk."

Concern enters my voice. "Did you get hurt?"

"No."

"Did the girls bully you?"

"No."

I relax in relief, but am still confused. "Then?"