32 | Remnants of the Dead

Once I escape to the hallway, I run straight for the stairs around the corner. My back leans against the wall and I struggle to catch my breath, swallowing the rush of emotions down my throat. I know I acted a little worked up back there, but I can't help feeling angry and paranoid.

Something about all these happenings in my life doesn't feel right.

As for my father, I don't know him. I don't trust him.

To ask me to give up everything that I have right now and live with him—that's simply out of the question.

I push myself off the wall and hoist my tote bag on my shoulder, clutching the straps tightly. There's fifteen minutes left before the bell rings and I head straight for Block E, knowing that's where Kyle is having his last lesson for the day. I wait for him outside the classroom, staring blankly at the shoelaces on my sneakers and picking at a loose thread on my pullover.

When he finally shuffles out of class, he notices me immediately.

"Riley?" A boyish smile works its way to his lips. "You finished class early?"

I nod. No matter how foul my mood is, the sight of him forms a smile on my face.

Behind him, Ian appears and gives me a friendly wave. "Hey there, Riley! Feeling better?"

"I'm good. Thanks for asking, Ian."

"That's great!" His gaze switches from me to Kyle and back to me again. "Alright, I'll stop third wheeling now. He's all yours..."

Ian winks at me, gives us one last wave and disappears down the corridor. When he's gone, Kyle reaches for my hand, lacing his fingers through mine, and we head for the parking lot together. He seems to be in a better mood now. His eyes are much brighter than before.

"Hungry?"

"A little," I lie, even though I've lost my appetite after the meeting with my father. But hey, who knows if I might get hungry once I see the food in front of me? "What shall we have?"

"Any cravings?"

"Not really, but I'll have whatever you feel like having."

Kyle grins down at me. "Well then, I know a good place."

I let him take the lead. Twenty minutes later, we stand at the entrance of Happynest.

There's a growing lunch crowd, but somehow, we snag a booth by the window. Maya takes our orders and we both get the Big Ben—a favorite of Kyle's grandfather. As she vanishes into the kitchen, I watch Aunt Abbie serve a customer at the counter. Wearing a white apron, her hair pulls back into a bun and sits on top of her head as loose strands frame her face. Delicate yet professional.

When she spots us, she grins and mouths to us.

Food's on the house. Eat up.

Grinning, I give her a thumbs up and return my attention to Kyle. He's casually looking around, his fingers are playing around with mine and a thumb traces circles at the back of my left hand. I relish the feel of his large, warm and slightly calloused hand on mine, wondering how I had once allowed myself to let go of this hand.

He hasn't yet noticed anything strange about me, which means I'm doing a terrific job at hiding my troubled thoughts. "Are there things you would like to try doing, Riley?"

My head tilts to the side, puzzled. "What sort of thing?"

"Oh, I don't know. Canoeing? Cycling? A concert?" he suggests. "Things that you wish to tick off your bucket list."

"I...wow. No one asked me this before," I admit, but excitement bubbles in my chest. "I need a moment to think."

He whips out his phone and taps on the notepad app. "Here, list down 30 things. 20 if it's too hard for you. We'll clear that bucket list by Christmas."