13 | Thoughts About Him

Aunt Abbie tells me that before the car accident, the younger me enjoys playing the piano in my pastime.

In the living room, an old piano sits in the corner and it turns out that I'm the owner. When I was asleep in the hospital, Aunt Abbie retrieved whatever items she could from my old house before they put it up for sale. More than half of the money contributed to my medical expenses, whereas the rest went into my bank account for college, together with what's left of my mother's savings.

Without my aunt, I don't know what I would have done.

My fingers rest on the cool piano keys before they play a song which I'm familiar with. It's the same one that I played when I first moved here. A light, joyful melody fills my ears before it eventually ends on a sad note. It's a simple waltz, but I believe it holds more meaning behind it than I know of.

Aunt Abbie leans against a wall, watching me play from the side with a soft smile. "I know little about playing the piano but this is beautiful," she marvels. "How are you even doing it? It's astounding."

I stare down at my hands. We both know it's the only song I ever know how to play, not from the books, but from my instinct. "Yeah, it's rather strange how I know how to play it, but I don't remember where and how I've learnt it."

"Don't worry, this is already a great start. You'll remember it someday."

"What if I don't?"

My question takes her by surprise, and she considers. "Then you'll have to move on with your life," she says. "You can't start the next chapter of your life if you're still brooding over the previous one. I'm sure that's what your mother would have wanted. She would want you to live a happy life."

I let her words sink into my head. She reaches for my shoulder and gives me a squeeze. "Who did you say you were meeting after school tomorrow?"

"Taylor, a friend from school. He has helped me out a few times."

"He's from the Maxwell family?" I nod and she frowns. "His parents are kind of aloof, but I have heard nothing bad about the boy. Don't be home too late, alright?"

I nod. "I'll be careful."

Just then, Judy exits the kitchen. Putting on a straight face, she walks past us to head back to her room, oblivious to the traces of chocolate that are smeared around the edges of her mouth and chin.

There's something new to expect every day when you're living with a child. Her silly antics keep you busy for the entire day. Once, a hand fell off one of her old dolls and she cried, but by the next morning, she had buried it two feet under the soil and probably forgot the existence of it when she saw a new toy that Uncle Dave bought for her.

A knowing smile breaks out on my face. "Hey, Juds." I call out to her in a teasing tone. "What's that thing around your mouth?"

The little snack robber freezes just as Aunt Abbie catches on to what I'm referring to. "Judy!" she exclaims. "What did I say about no snacks before dinner?"

The girl breaks out in fits of giggles and escapes to her room, with her mother close on her tail. I hear their playful squeals and smile to myself before returning to my piano and playing the same music piece once more.

But for some odd reason, the first thing that comes to my mind is Kyle.

***

The next day after Literature class ends, I grab my bag and leave the classroom quickly. In fifteen minutes, I'm meeting Taylor at the school's entrance.

Previously, we had agreed to meet up for lunch today, but because Blaire insisted on having my company during our break and my loyalty lies with her; I stayed with her. I told Taylor about the change of plan and that we should hit a nearby cafe after classes, and he readily agrees.