36 | The Suspect

The next day, when Kyle comes over, I show him the warning note. I've already told him the gist of what has happened over the phone and he's definitely not happy about it. Upset would be a better choice of word.

I haven't shown the note to Aunt Abbie because I don't want her to freak out over this. Maybe I'm just overthinking things. Whatever it is, I'm telling Kyle first because 1) he's my boyfriend and 2) people often say that a third party always has a better and clearer view of the situation. He might catch details I've not thought about. After all, he has dealt with a lot more people and seen more crime movies than I ever have.

He's seated on the edge of my bed. As he scans the words, his eyes narrow in anger and his jaw clenches tightly. "This is the only note you've received so far?"

"Yes," I pause briefly. "What should I do? Should we call the cops?"

He ponders for a minute, weighing his options in his head. "The police won't act based on this note alone. They have always received fake calls and might think that this is just a prank by the neighbor's kids," he says. "I say we wait for a couple of days and see if more notes appear. We need to collect more evidence that'll convince them to help us."

He's made a good point, but something else perturbs me. I ball my fists and bite my bottom lip in trepidation. "What if this guy appears?"

Kyle's face softens, and he folds me into his arms. His embrace comforts me, his voice rumbles into me through his chest. "Not happening. And I won't leave you alone. I'll never let him hurt you."

"It's not me I'm worried about." I think of my aunt, uncle, and my baby cousin. Pulling them into such a mess is the last thing I want. "I don't want others to be implicated by this."

"Nobody's getting hurt. The person said he'll come for you if you remember your past, right? Well then, you'll have to convince whoever this person is by pretending you've moved on in life," Kyle states firmly, taking my hand and intertwining our fingers. "To go to great lengths to keep tabs on you, someone must have a feud with your mother. And you must have known something too, before the car accident. Who do you think is behind this? Do you remember anything?"

I try my best to recall, but nothing comes to my mind. "I don't remember, but I reckon it has to be related to my dad. In fact, I'm positive it's him. He's the only one that has been giving me the creepy vibes."

However, Kyle frowns at my assumption. "Riley, let's not rule out another possibility."

"Another possibility?"

He pauses for a second, hesitating. "I'm just saying this, but maybe it's not your dad. It's somebody else. Your mother wasn't reclusive. She would have known a bunch of people when she was alive."

Fear trickles through me, and my breaths are coming short and fast. I can't stand the thought of me being on the radar of several people. "No, no... That's not–"

"Calm down, Riley. You're hyperventilating." Kyle shifts me around so that I'm practically curled up on his lap like a child. He holds me to his chest and lets his hand pat my back in soothing circles. "Relax and breathe."

I do as he says, feeling embarrassment crawling up my neck. "S-sorry."

He presses a kiss on my forehead. "Don't worry, it's normal to be afraid. I'll be even more worried if you don't show any signs like this."

We sit in silence for a minute; Kyle holding me as I recollect my thoughts. Something clicks in my head and I almost leap off the bed in agitation, if not for him holding me in place. "Maybe this is all my dad's doing. Maybe he wants to scare me badly so that I will take up his offer and leave Lakeshore to live with him."