17 | Honesty

All morning, I'm feeling pretty dispirited.

Blaire notices this, especially when I stare off into space, and yet she doesn't pressure me to tell her what's troubling me. Instead, she attempts to get me smiling and laughing at her jokes.

Gradually, she succeeds.

"Let me take you out on a date. We can have a double cheeseburger and ice cream — my treat."

I finally break into laughter as I shove my books into the locker and turn to face her. She's leaning against the locker next to mine with her arms crossed and giving me her most serious look, but upon hearing my laughter, her lips twitch at the ends as she resists a smile.

"You're tempting me with food to go out with you," I say amusedly, "because you want a shopping date."

She waggles an eyebrow at me playfully. "And what's wrong with that? I've been begging you since forever, but you keep coming up with excuses not to. I can't believe it! How can anyone say no to shopping?"

Unconsciously, I place a hand over my covered arm. No one knows about this, not even Blaire. If we go out shopping together, there's a strong likelihood of her discovering my scar. "It's because you keep insisting on wanting to get me new clothes," I say. "I don't need them."

"You can't just live with oversized shirts, jeans and sneakers. Where are the tight dresses and shorts? The heels?"

Frowning, I glance down at my outfit. "What's wrong with my style? It's snuggly."

"But it's a waste of your pretty looks! You can do so much better. Girls only get to live their youth once!" she exclaims, before leaning in to study my features closely. "Imagine applying some eye shadow and mascara here... I think you'll be able to distract a bunch of guys and have them walk right into walls."

I shake my head in disbelief as she takes my arm, tugging at me with puppy eyes.

"Come on! Let's make a trade — go shopping with me and I'll accompany you to the party this Friday?"

I'm stunned. I haven't told her anything about Taylor's invitation and yet, she already knows. "How did you know I was going to ask you that?"

She rolls her eyes. "Of course, I've known Taylor far longer than you do and heard some stories about him," she shrugs. "I figured at some point, he would have invited you too. That's how he always is. He enjoys the attention so much that he invites the entire school. And knowing you, you will feel bad about turning him down but you don't wish to go alone, hence, you'll likely ask me along. Heck, even if you didn't tell me, I would have invited myself as your companion. This is a perfect excuse not to stay at home when my mom is bringing her boyfriend over again. Besides, the best part of the party is the free booze! Who would say no to that?"

Grinning, she shifts closer to me and nudges me lightly. "What do you say, Riley? It's a fair trade, isn't it?"

Her enthusiasm brings out the laughter in me again. "Alright, alright. I give up. Have it your way, Blaire."

A triumphant smile appears on her face. "Great, let's go shopping now."

"Now?"

"Yes, now."

"Alright, but...where?"

"Oh, I keep forgetting you aren't familiar with this town yet. There's a place where I would frequently go – the Central Plaza. That's where you'll find the best shops and cafes–"