40 | The Truth

The madman before me stands and begins a slow walk around me. Circling me like a prey. A coyote eyeing a rabbit.

It's a reminder that there's no place for me to run. No matter how much I yearn to run towards the metal door and out of the room, Gavin will be right there to catch me and drag me back to this godforsaken place.

But I've got to get out of here. Away from him.

"Do you remember what your mother worked as?" he questions. His voice is calm, but it's what makes him even more creepy. He's like a ticking bomb waiting to explode. "A marketing senior. We worked closely, and she was a charming colleague with a lovely smile. And smart," he remarks. "In fact, she's too smart, and that's how she found out some of my private information. Must have been snooping around my belongings. She was adamant about breaking up and reporting me to the police. I tried to talk her out of it, but she didn't listen. She betrayed me."

At the sadness in his tone, rage runs through my veins. I grit my teeth, unable to hold back my temper. After all, this is the very man who ruined my life and took everything from me. "Mom didn't betray you. She wanted to get away from you!"

In a flash, his face closes in and his hand grips my chin painfully. Forcing me to glance up at him. "Watch your language, sweetheart," he chides. "Such words don't suit your pretty face. Do you want me to teach manners?"

Fear courses through my veins. Watching the creepy glint reflecting off his eyes, I'm suddenly aware of the fact that it's just me and him in an abandoned warehouse. Alone. Provoking him is not the way to go, especially when my hands and legs are still tied. I'm at his mercy and even if I don't know his methods, I've a rough idea of what he plans to do to me next.

He's going to kill me.

The question is—when?

Seeing how still and silent I am, he releases me and I lean away from him instinctively. "Good girl." His lips twist into a satisfied smile. "Now, what were you saying back in the car? You found something that belongs to your mother?"

Mom's thumb drive. "A-a jacket," I reply stiffly. "She left that behind."

"Really? You found nothing else?"

I keep my face as smooth as possible. After taking a moment to observe me, he throws back his head and laughs at my stiff expression, as if he could read what's on my mind.

What a sick man. "How are you not in jail yet?"

"Perks of being a mayor's son," he smirks. "A little bribe always does the deal. It was truly a close shave."

He doesn't have to explain much for me to understand everything. That's how he has gotten away from being caught. If Mom had tried all her means to report him, he must have taken a step ahead of her, removed evidence, and convinced people to get onto his side instead.

No wonder Mom was desperate to leave town.

Gavin glances at his watch, frowning, before he stands and heads for the exit. "Look at the time. The sun's already setting." He clicks his tongue in discontent. "Stay here and be good, Riley. I need to get everything ready."

Leaving me utterly confused, he leaves me behind, humming a catchy tune under his breath. The sound of the door slamming behind him and the lock fastening in place feels as if he's sealing my fate away in his hands.

I can't run away.

***

Gavin hasn't been lying when he said he has left me in a desolate place. After an hour of shouting for help, no one comes. Now, my voice is raw and dry. I slump to the cold ground, exhausted.

It's not like I haven't checked out the place. There is no furniture or other signs of life. Only broken windows and walls with paint flaking off. Taking the chance that Gavin's not around, I worm my way awkwardly over to all corners, searching for shards of glass. Ignoring the heavy stench of mold, I continue my search in desperation. Hoping to find anything that can help to remove the ropes tied around my feet and around my aching wrists. I found rusty, long nails, but they don't work well on cutting through the ropes.

My phone is gone from my pocket too. Gavin probably has taken it away from me.

As the sun sets and the daylight fades, I'm having difficulty seeing what's around me. And what's worse is the sound of creaks coming from the roof. It's downright creepy and makes me feel as if I'm not alone. As if someone is watching me from the shadows.

I've never been alone like this before. And it's driving me insane.

Focus on the task, Riley. Focus.

After some time of grappling around the dirty floor, my feet kick something and I finally hear hope ringing in my ears. The noise sounds awful, like a clink of glass to me. As my excitement grows and my feet inch closer to the spot where I last heard it, a couple more glass pieces knock against each other. I shift my body and hands closer, feeling my fingers close around a broken shard. The sharpest tip cuts into my skin and draws blood, but I'll have to make do with this. It's the only tool I have.

Something creaks above me and my body freezes in fear. When nothing else happens, I let out a nervous breath. I'm genuinely relieved that Gavin isn't back yet, but it reminds me that time's not on my side. It's ticking away fast, and I've to move fast before he returns.

Grasping the broken glass in my hand, I cut through the ropes.

***

Roughly an hour later, Gavin returns.

Almost faintly, I hear his car parking right outside the building and he shuffles. I prop myself against the pillar, positioning myself so that my 'bound' hands are behind my back, just like before. The ropes wrapped around my legs are loose, and I adjust myself in a way that Gavin won't notice that I'm freed. I grip the broken shard in my hand, waiting for the right moment to use it.

For now, I can only pray that Gavin doesn't catch onto my plan.

This time, however, he isn't alone. He unlatches the lock on the door and sets down a camping light on the floor, his eyes immediately searching for me. Once he catches sight of my petrified face, his face breaks into a delighted smile.

"You're behaving well, aren't you?" he praises. Awfully pleased. "Good girl."

I don't respond. I watch on as he enters the room, dragging something long and heavy behind him. When he pulls it up to a couple of feet away from me, I recognize it as a body bag. It's like one of those used by the police or hospital in a TV show.

A gasp escapes my throat. "What are you doing?"

Gavin simply smiles. He drops to his knees and unzips the bag, pulling aside the plastic covering to reveal a face that I know too well. One that instantly chills me to the bone.

It's my father.