9. Okay?

The next week flies by. Between classes starting to pick up and football practice, I'm beyond exhausted. But aside from exhaustion, the week hasn't been so bad. Olivia and I see each other every day in class and walk together when we can. We haven't had another lunch date or dinner, and I haven't pushed her anymore about her feelings for me.

The only day I didn't see Olivia was yesterday—Monday—because the game over the weekend kicked my ass. I ended up skipping English, wanting to save up my energy for the team's ninety degree weather practice in the afternoon. I felt bad for skipping, even more so for ditching her—not that she needs me in our English class. Regardless, I apologized to her for skipping in our anatomy lecture today, and of course she was nice about it. I even ended up scoring her number so I can text her to let her know if I'm going to be late to class or ask her any questions.

Like I said, the week was going pretty well. That is until Chase took a particularly hard hit and fall at practice tonight.

"Fuck, dude. What if it's broken?" Chase worries as he gingerly holds his wrist to his chest.

"It's not broken," I say, praying my words are true. Because if it is broken, he's fucked.

"But what if it is? Then I'm fucked for possibly the rest of the season," he says, seemingly reading my mind. He groans, his head falling back against the headrest in agony.

"It's not."

I make a left into the hospitals ER parking lot, dropping Chase off at the door to check in while I try to find the nearest parking spot. I pull his truck into the first space I see and hop out.

As soon as Chase took the hit and tumbled to the ground with a painful scream, we all knew something was wrong. Coach immediately had me drive him to the nearest hospital, Chase not handing me the keys to his truck fast enough.

Meeting Chase in the waiting room, we sit around for about twenty minutes before he's taken back for vitals and x-rays. Instead of sitting around—knowing he's going to be awhile—I take a walk, finding the cafeteria.

After looking around for five minutes at the limited, unappetizing selection of food, I finally settle on two granola bars and a Gatorade.

Walking into the dining area once I'm finished paying, a flash of caramel catches my eye. I look to my left to find Olivia sitting at a table with an older woman that looks to be in her late forties. The woman has dark skin, her dark hair twisted into a tight bun on top of her head. She's dressed in scrubs, letting me know that she's a hospital employee of some sorts.

There's a tray of food between them on top of the table. But they're not eating.

The both of them sit with their chairs pulled close, their knees almost touching as they sit facing each other. They're both sitting up straight with their heads bowed a little, their eyes closed, looking somber. The woman has her stethoscope out, listening to Olivia's heart, deeply focused as she listens.

I stand and watch for a few moments, confused.

Why is Olivia at the hospital? Why is there a lady listening to her heart in the middle of the cafeteria?

So many questions filter through my head, and then I remember something.

Taking my phone out of my pocket, I glance at my home screen to see that it is in fact Tuesday evening. I remember Olivia mentioning that she has a commitment on Tuesday nights to meet up with a friend for dinner. Even Delilah confirmed how religious Olivia is about meeting up with said friend on Tuesday nights.

This must be the friend she was talking about.

Unable to look away, curiosity getting the best of me, I quickly dart behind a large pillar to observe the pair a bit longer.