6. Home

I wake up around noon, skipping my Monday morning classes and even lunch to sleep in. The game Saturday night was brutal, but we ended up pulling out a win for the first game of the season against one of our biggest rivals. Then the party afterwards and the Sunday practice was even more brutal, my head throbbing as soon as I sit up in my bed to rub the sleep from my eyes. 

After much procrastination and a heavy sigh, I force myself to get out of bed. Finding some Aspirin sitting on top of my desk, I down two pills with a bottle of water before grabbing my towel and shower caddy, dragging ass down the hall to the showers.

I spend about ten minutes in the shower, half that time spent just standing under the hot spray of water to try to sooth my aching muscles. Once I'm out of the shower, I get ready and slip into a pair of jeans and a T-shirt, shrugging on my backpack and heading towards the Language Arts building.

On my stroll over, I get a number of congratulations and pats on the back for my performance Saturday night, leading our team to victory.

I walk into the Language Arts building with my head held high and ego boosted, rounding the corner and immediately spotting Olivia sitting in her seat, writing in her planner. "Hey, Finch," I greet her, walking into the classroom and taking my seat next to her.

Her head perks up at the sound of my voice, her eyes finding mine. "Hey," she says, flashing me that smile of hers. "I heard you had a good weekend."

"Yeah," I chuckle, still riding my high, especially after she personally bids me congratulations. "Thanks, we really kicked ass. How was shopping with Delilah?"

Her face falls, a look of agony washing over her features. "Remember how I told you sometimes I think a root canal would be more fun? That was one of those times."

"Ouch. Sorry, Finch. You should have come to the game instead," I jab playfully.

Her lips turn up into a half smile, and she shoots me an apologetic look. "Maybe next time."

"I'm going to hold you to it."

Once Professor Hobb dismisses class, I wait for Olivia to finish packing up her things and walk out of the classroom with her. As soon as we make it to the hallway, Olivia pulls her vibrating cellphone out of her pocket, checking the caller ID before answering.

"Hey, Dee," she greets her friend. Even with the buzz of the hallway I can slightly pick up Delilah's frantic, apologetic voice coming from the other side of the line, making Olivia's brows knit together. 

I watch Olivia's shoulders deflate after some time, a small frown pulling at her lips as she listens to Delilah carry on.

When we reach the front of the Language Arts building, I hold the door open for Olivia, letting her walk out first, and she mouths me a quick thank you.

"No, it's okay," Olivia says, trying to hide her wounded tone, prompting Delilah to spout out what sounds like more apologies. "Dee, it's really no big deal. I can find another ride home or wait for my mom to get off of work." Delilah speaks and Olivia looks at her watch, slightly cringing. "She gets off at five." Three hours from now.

"Delilah, really, I'm fine," Olivia giggles, trying to assure her friend by taking on a light, airy tone. "Go knock their socks off." A genuine smile touches her lips. "I'll see you tomorrow."

With a few more words from Delilah, and a few more reassurances from Olivia, the two say their goodbyes and hang up. Olivia shoves her phone back into her pocket, letting out a small sigh.

"Everything okay?" I ask.

"Oh, yeah." Olivia waves her hand dismissively. "Dee was just calling to tell me she can't drive me home today. Apparently word just spread that the president of the debate club is stepping down, and the officers are having an impromptu meeting to select a new one. It's been Dee's dream since we started college to get that position."