33. On My Way

"What?"

"Yeah, they were able to trace more surveillance footage around campus and track down who it was," Brennen informs me.

"Was it Adrianna?" I ask, eager to find out if she's bluffing or not.

"Not quite," he says, voice hesitant. "I was talking to her at the front desk when the alarm went off. She came waltzing in with that guy from the hockey team that lives on the second floor and started talking to me as if we were long lost friends. I found it odd, but I figured it was just some game she was trying to play to make him jealous or something. We talked for about ten minutes until the alarm went off and everyone had to evacuate."

"So wait, if it wasn't her then who..." I trail off, wracking my brain. Because my second guess would have been that she got the hockey player to pull it, but it seems as though he was with her the whole time she was talking to Brennen.

"You know that scrawny kid Olivia and Delilah hang out with?"

My blood runs cold, every muscle in my body tensing.

"They found out this morning that he pulled it," he continues when I don't say anything. "It took a while, but they finally pulled enough footage from the other security cameras around campus to catch him in one of the parking lots twenty minutes prior, talking to Adrianna with his hood down.

"It looks like they were working together, except he did most of the dirty work. They actually ran into the guy from the hockey team, and he was their way into the dorms. He used his key to get them inside, and then Adrianna dragged him over to the front desk, pulling the both of us into a conversation so that nerdy kid could sneak behind the desk while I was distracted and go into the back room to steal the master key."

"Fucking rat bastard," I mutter, raking a hand harshly through my dark hair.

"From there he snuck back out and pulled the fire alarm. When almost everyone was out, cameras caught him using the key to get into your room for about three minutes, carrying something out in his arms. Have you noticed anything missing?"

"My fucking hoodie," I seethe. "The fucking asshole messed with my alarms, making me late for my final the next morning, and he gave that hoodie to Adrianna to make it look like I slept with her to Olivia."

All this time, all this fucking time, the little rat was right under my nose and I didn't even see it.

"Shit," Brennen curses under his breath. "Well campus security should be contacting you soon to see if you want to give a statement and possibly press charges."

"The fuck I am," I reply. There's no way I'm letting him get away with this. I know he's going to get into a lot of trouble with the school anyway, but he deserves everything coming to him and then some for not only fucking up my life, but messing with Olivia, too.

"Hey man, thanks for letting me know," I say, feeling slightly guilty for dodging all his calls and snapping at him when I finally answered.

"No problem. I'll keep you updated. Do—"

I hang up and run back to my bike, not wasting any time. I kick start the engine and speed down the roads to a quiet, nice little subdivision, adrenaline coursing through my veins. I pull into Olivia's driveway and run to her front door, knocking three times.

Mr. McCausland opens the door again, a smile on his face. "Pleasure to see you here again, Bronx. Let me guess, you're here to see me," he teases with a knowing grin.

I try my best to be polite and give him a laugh, hoping it doesn't sound too forced or strangled. "Actually sir, I'm here to see your daughter."

His smile turns apologetic. "I'm sorry, Bronx, she's not home right now. My best guess is that she's either at Delilah's or still at school."