35. Jackpot

I wake up to warm lips pressing kisses along my back, a few damp strands of silky hair gliding across my skin. I sigh in content, snuggling my face deeper into my pillow.

I focus on her lips as they place several kisses across my back, shoulder blade to shoulder blade, kissing every letter of my tattoo. U-N-K-N-O-W-N.

My chest tightens with an emotion I can't quite decipher, the meaning behind my tattoo starting to crumble since she walked into my life.

I roll onto my side, blindly reaching out for her. My arm lazily hooks around her waist, and I realize she's standing at the edge of my bed.

"Hi," I rasp, pulling her closer to the edge and burying my face into her stomach, smelling a familiar soap and shampoo. My soap and shampoo.

Damn it. Damn it. She smells like me, and for some reason that ignites something primal and possessive deep inside of me. She must have stolen my shower caddy and snuck off to the showers earlier this morning while I was asleep.

She giggles softly, carding her fingers through my hair. "Hi," she whispers, leaning down to place a kiss to my cheek.

I hum in contentment, feeling a sense of peace and satisfaction I haven't felt since... well, ever.

"What are you doing up?" I ask, my eyes still blissfully closed, heavy with sleep.

Her fingernails continue to gently graze over my scalp, sending a shiver down my spine.

"I still have the final for my other section of Mrs. Cooper's lab," she reminds me. I completely forgot all about it.

I groan in protest, tightening my arm around her waist. "No."

She giggles sweetly. "No? Come on, I have to go," she urges me gently, managing to slip from my hold. "And I need this," she mutters softly under her breath, her fingers grazing my wrist and hand as she slips her hair tie from my wrist.

Before it can slide up and over my fingers, I capture the small band in my fist, holding it hostage. Blearily, I blink open my eyes to stare up at her beautiful face, her cheeks rosy and hair damp from her shower. Her long caramel locks cascade over one shoulder, the ends dripping onto one of my sweaters adorning her torso.

"Not until you kiss me first," I state, tilting my lips up in offering.

A small, amused smile tugs at her lips before she leans down and presses them to mine. I kiss her lazily, lovingly, letting go of the band to cup her cheek in my hand. Savoring the kiss, not wanting it to end anytime soon, I slide my hand back to tangle my fingers into her wet hair, gently fisting the dark strands, deepening the kiss.

She giggles and hums against my lips in protest, eventually breaking free. "Bronx," she whines adorably through a string of giggles, an infectious smile on her face. "I'm going to be late."

I attempt to wrap my arm back around her waist to prevent her from leaving, but she steps back quickly, escaping my hold.

My arm hangs limply off the mattress and I let out a dramatic huff, causing her to laugh. I peek up at her through my lashes, watching her tie her hair up into a ponytail.

"I should be done around eleven today. Would you maybe want to meet me around that time and do an early lunch?" she asks, suddenly a little shy, making me smile.

"Of course, baby. I'll meet you outside of Mrs. Cooper's office," I promise.

She smiles, a light blush spreading across her cheeks. "Okay, I'll see you later. I love you."

My grin widens. "I love you, too," I state, watching her slip out the door.

I roll over onto my stomach, hooking my arms underneath the pillow and smiling into it, satisfaction thrumming through my veins. I let out a long, content sigh, replaying last night's events in my head, wishing I could hold her just a little longer.