CHAPTER FORTY TWO: LEAVING

Gravely injured? You humor me, Celine. I plan on sticking around a while longer.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FORTY TWO: LEAVING

"I never thought you were such a heavy sleeper."

A gentle tap on her shoulder was what made Marie Wayland awake from her slumber. Her body jerked up, eyes widening as she realized she had fallen asleep on the edge of Will Herondale's infirmary bed.

The room was completely dark, witchlight beside Will's bed being the only source of illumination. Marie didn't quite remember falling asleep; she was sure that she had promised herself to stay awake after her and Jem's conversation, but her body seemed to have had other plans.

"Both, you and James, are hopeless," Will chuckled lightly as he noted Marie's mouth falling agape. He gestured to her to move closer. "Come on, help me up, Celine."

"You're awake," Marie whispered, almost as if she couldn't believe it.

"No, you're dreaming," Will rolled his glistening blue orbs, whispering hurriedly. "Of course I am awake. Now, help me up, Celine."

Snorting at Will's teasing, the brunette girl slowly helped him sit up, instructing him not to lean his back against the headboard, in case his wounds weren't completely healed. "How long were you awake for?"

"Long enough to see you and James drifting away from this world," Will's smile, even though it clearly suggested he was still in pain, was dazzling. His eyes were tired, hair tousled from sleeping. "Why would you even stay here when you have the comfort of your own beds?"

It was such a hypocritical thing for him to say, considering that he had done the same thing when Marie had been under the influence of Imogen's curse. Heavens, he had even tried talking to the Angel, so what was he truly trying to achieve?

"You know, Herondale," Marie shook her head. "If you weren't injured, I'd hit you on your head."

"Why don't you test your luck, huh?" Will's eyebrow shot up, right corner of his mouth tugging upon witnessing the terrible attempts of Marie trying not to smile at him. "I bet I could take you, injured and everything."

Surely Will had opened his eyes only moments ago, but he was more than glad to be greeted by the sleeping form of Marie Wayland. The sight alone made his heart flutter in his chest as he recollected the soft whispers she spoke in his ears as he fought against the gut-wrenching pain.

He didn't have to be a genius to figure out that she had stayed by his side ever since he had succumbed to the force of darkness. It was yet another reason that made Will want to break his curse so terribly; he yearned to reach out and pull the very girl into him. He had wanted to feel her close to him and kiss her until the end of time.

"Shh," Marie's pupils dilated as she noticed Jem turning in his chair. He looked oddly uncomfortable, with his arm angled underneath his head. "You'll wake him up. Heavens know how much he needs his rest. Poor boy stayed by your side ever since we arrived. He even held your hand while you cried like a baby."

"Is that so, Celine?" It was Will's turn to be surprised. "I'd like to see you throwing yourself to protect someone like that. I bet there wouldn't be a force in this world strong enough to muffle your cries. Besides, I hadn't cried out because it was painful, but because Brother Enoch was awfully close to me. Such an unpleasant encounter!"