CHAPTER FORTY FIVE: CARING

Give him your trust, even when there's an unimaginable price at stake. That's what it means to be parabatai. ◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE: CARING

MARIE Wayland had read many stories in her life. Whether it be fictional novels or tales that spoke of the hardships life dropped upon people's shoulders, whether it be short poems or remarkably well written works of prose, she had covered it all. Through them, Marie had met brave warriors and fierce women, cowards and liars; she had lived a thousand lives and yet, despite an infinity of read pages, she never quite believed that things such as soulmates existed.

To her, it was an impossibility. How could there be one person in the world of billion people - made just for you? It seemed unreal to her, despite knowing that all the stories were true. It was a thought she couldn't quite wrap her mind around.

So, truly, she didn't know when her view on the particular topic began to shift. One moment, she was absolutely denying the existence of such a thing, but the other - her heart had been clenched in her chest as she thought of confronting Gabriel Lightwood.

It was then that the girl had realized that perhaps soulmates weren't only meant to be of romantic nature. Sometimes, the bond was one between friends who understood each other deeply. It was a bond that connected two people, making their hearts beat the same rhythm and their minds make each other bloom, even when a dark storm was on the horizon.

She supposed those were the reasons for the churning feeling resting in the pit of her stomach as she buttoned her cape up to her neck. She had despised the sheer idea of leaving Gabriel so close to his father, left in his mercy.

Gabriel Lightwood had a solid ground behind his plans, agreeing to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Marie supposed they were the same when it came to protecting the people they cared about.

Ever since they were joined by their cruel fates, Gabriel had done nothing but being kind to Marie. He had offered a whole new side to her, just because she had wanted to listen. Just because she had wanted to stay by his side and not let go of his hand as he was slowly drowning. Just because she decided to pull him out of his misery. 

Hell, her deeds looked much smaller compared to his. The boy had willingly undergone a dangerous parabatai ceremony with her, just because he had wanted her alive and well.

That was why Marie loathed the thought of having to put up a false bravado while encountering his family. She didn't want to fight him; not now and not ever.

"Celine?" A loud knock made her entire body jerk in surprise. She had recognized the voice, but this was the first time that she didn't have time to face Will. "I need to speak to you."

Spinning on her foot, Marie separated her gaze from the mirror she was facing and averted it onto the boy who gave himself permission to enter her chambers. "Can it not wait?" Marie's eyebrows rose up as she glanced at Will. "We need to leave soon."

Will shook his head, eyes illuminating a mixture of raw wildness and untamable excitement. She had never witnessed him being so happy, unless of course, he was engaged in a conversation that had to deal with demon pox.