PROLOGUE

You might want to sit down, Will.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

PROLOGUE

IN between rounds of getting drunk and visiting Magnus Bane, Will Herondale had no free time left on his sleeve. Not that he complained much about it. In fact, this new state of constant drunkenness felt good.

For the first time in a long time, the Herondale boy had the privilege of caring about nothing. His mind was, simply said, blank.

Will knew he had some time to spare before he had to jump back into his routines and divert his thoughts on the problem which involved Mortmain and his clockwork army, so he decided to use it in his own, morally deficient way.

Knowing that his parabatai had Tessa to keep him company, Will allowed himself to lose touch with his regular activities. He didn't even bother stopping by the Library to check on his best friend, Marie Wayland. He had simply detached himself from everyone that cared about him.

He had to distance himself, anyway. It was a plan he knew all too well.

Get close, stay away. Repeat.

He had been set on never allowing his past to be repeated. There was absolutely no way that he would willingly let someone he cared about die, just so he could experience an ounce of happiness. The death that followed him didn't need to be transmitted to the people he loved.

Will knew better than that.

In hopes that he would forget all about his cowardness, Will Herondale shut his eyes tightly. Once he inhaled deeply and allowed air to dill in his lungs, he had opened them again only to be greeted by the dawn's rays. The sun rose as a canopy of warm gold, bright against the weak, nightly canvas. Darkness had been surrendering to the power of light and Will had been beyond mesmerized by the beauty he was witnessing. He had wondered what had he done that was big enough, generous enough to grant him the opportunity of seeing this divine magic at work; what's more important - he wished to share this moment with somebody. And that somebody had been a certain brunette Shadowhunter that went by the name of Marie Wayland.

He had wanted her to stand next to him and feel the warmth of sun's rays on her face. He had wanted to ask her what she thought about it. He had wanted them to discuss on how exactly light came into their life and what was the meaning of it.

Perhaps light came because of love; maybe humans were capable of radiating something so pure into the space and it eventually found its way back to them, through the cracks and gaps of universe and into their reality. Perhaps they were made of the same gold as the sun. Perhaps there was an equally bright flame burning inside their souls, sparkling their minds and hearts.

It was just Will's luck that he had been near the Institute, on his way home. There was just enough time for him to arrive and go and wake Marie up so they could admire the nature's beauty. Together, as they always have.