CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: PARTING

Preparing for the wedding of the decade? You've got the words memorized by heart. Did the Lightworm give you his family ring, too?◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: PARTING

HEAVY clouds of ice cold rain ground down upon the narrow London streets. Paved roads against which the carriages trundled resembled an endless field of water mines, the wheels of the vehicles producing a symphony of splashing sounds that resonated for miles.

Despite the fashionable umbrellas Marie and Tessa had hid underneath, tiny droplets of rain had still managed to glide down their backs and wet the fabric of their dresses. Accompanied by Jem, Will and Cyril who helped carry their luggage, the two girls begged their legs to move quicker toward the King Cross Station.

The building itself was striking. It stood tall and towered over the travelers. A great clock tower rose from the front, signaling that the Shadowhunters had only a few minutes left before their train to Yorkshire departed.

Once they found themselves inside the marvelous station, the companions were met by an unrestrained mess of motion. Londoners and foreigners alike raced toward their compartments, heads tucked underneath their enormous hats. Women held their husbands' arms, businessmen locked their briefcases into their palms as if their lives depended on it and little children tucked at their parents' skirts and dress pants - all while merging with the infinite sea of carelessness and hurry.

"Gone off and left us, has he?" Tessa mumbled under her breath as she tried to defeat her umbrella.

Marie, who had been engaged into crowd watching, turned her head toward Tessa. It didn't take her much longer to figure out that her friend was talking about William. Apparently, the boy had parted his way without an explanation. Truly, it came as no surprise to Marie. Will Herondale had a habit of disappearing in the least desirable moments.

"Let me do that," Marie heard Jem offering his assistance to Tessa. The girl had gladly accepted it, leaving Marie to stand next to Cyril.

She passed him a pleasant smile, glancing at his hands which were full of their luggage. "Do you need help, Cyril?"

"Thank you for your offer, Miss," he said. "But I assure you I will be fine."

A hand found its way on Marie's shoulder, making her recoil in fear. "By the Angel, Will. You sure know how to approach a lady."

"Years of practicing the art can do that," Will shrugged his shoulders. "I went to find a porter who would substitute Cyril in carrying the luggage and showing us the way to our compartment. He wasn't quite pleased with me."

"I bet," Marie chuckled, glancing at the annoyed-looking man who began transporting their bags to the train. "But I am glad you have returned. I slowly started thinking that I might be the only one intruding on our favorite pair of lovers."

The Herondale boy's blue eyes travelled to Jem and Tessa who were standing awfully close to each other. A smirk tugged at the corners of Will's lips.

Suddenly, a sound declaring that the train was to depart soon interrupted the companions' peace. Jem glanced from the porter to his cane and then to Will.

Catching his parabatai's gaze, Will nodded curtly. "It will wait for us."

The porter gave them a bitter smile, leading the way to their compartment. As they were about to enter it, Will put his arm around Marie's shoulder and leaned his head closer to the girl's ear. "For the record, I would never let you intrude on them alone."