CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: SAVED

Whither thou goest, I will go. Remember?◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: SAVED

TO say that Will Herondale couldn't believe how fast a trace of events could progress would have been an absolute understatement.

Ever since he had stumbled upon Tessa Gray, his mind couldn't stop spinning.

First, the girl had shared with him that she and Sophie needed help. Will didn't think much of it, assuming that it was something of low importance. But, when he entered Jessamine Lovelace's bedroom and saw her tied to her bed's headboard, Will quickly began realizing that things weren't as simple as he originally thought.

Unfortunately, his bewilderment didn't end there. When Tessa confessed that it was Sophie who slammed a mirror against Jessie's head, ultimately getting the blonde unconscious, Will was sure he was about to go mad.

He had always seen Sophie as a gentle soul, too kind and shy to contradict someone - much less slam a mirror against someone's head in a violent manner. It just didn't make any sense, so Will had to investigate the matter further. He questioned why she committed such a crime, only to discover the information that Jessamine was on her way to meet Nathaniel, Tessa's brother, and attend a masquerade ball at the Lightwoods.

Will assumed things went downhill from there.

The moment his ears registered the words that left the girls' lips, his mind began solving the puzzle. One thing led to another and before the Herondale boy knew it, he was drawing a quick Sleep-Now rune on Jessamine and sprinting out toward Marie Wayland's chambers.

Little did he know that he would find them empty. The girl's Shadowhunter gear laid on her bed, neatly folded. On top of the clothing was a pocket-size paper note.

Will didn't waste his time in reaching out for it. His cerulean irises quickly scanned over the messy handwriting and when they finally stumbled upon the name of Benedict Lightwood, Will heard himself cursing.

Tessa only stared at him, wide-eyed and lips-parted. Will didn't spare her as much as a glance, too busy with thinking of the way he could trace the girl he loved. It was then that Tessa suggested the ridiculous idea of her disguising as Jessamine.

If Will were to admit - which he most certainly was not - he would have said that Tessa's idea was brilliant. Changing into Jessamine would have allowed her to enter the Lightwood's ball and not only discover what business Jessie had with Nate, but look for Marie and her stupid friend, Gabriel.

Seeing no other way to solve the newfound problems, Will allowed Tessa her moment of glory, saying that she was to come with him. The boy wasn't reckless to let her go alone, especially not when Mortmain could show his filthy face.

"Ah," Will stated as Tessa descended down the steps of the Institute. She was the exact replica of Jessamine Lovelace, from her fair hair to the choice of clothing - seeing that Tessa decided to wear a low-cut ivory dress. A silk ribbon was wrapped around her neck, sleeves of her dress too short to cover her bare skin. "I see now why your brother quoted that execrable poetry. You are meant to be Maud, aren't you? 'Queen rose of the rosebud garden of girls'?"

"You know," Tessa exclaimed as she took Will's hand and got inside the carriage. "I don't care for that poem either."

The Herondale boy followed after, slamming the door shut. "Jessamine adores it."