CHAPTER SEVEN: BEFRIENDED

I was dying to mention how terrible you look. It's like you fell off an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER SEVEN: BEFRIENDED

BEING frightened was an unknown territory to Gabriel Lightwood. Constant hammering of his heart and growing pressure he felt in his chest upon glancing at Marie's pale face brought him out of his familiar state of calmness.

The boy didn't know for how long he had ridden his horse, he just knew that his main priority was reaching London Institute as soon as possible. He wasn't even sure if he had stopped once to regain his strength and rest his horse; Gabriel was aware that every second was precious to the passed out girl.

He wasn't that frightened at first, he had to admit. When Imogen preformed her spell on Marie, the girl had looked fine. Almost as if she was just sleeping. But as hours ran out, the brunette's skin began losing its usual warmness and color. The Shadowhunter girl even began frequently spasming and shaking in Gabriel's embrace. She occasionally twitched her head to the side as transparent drops of sweat found their way down her forehead and cheeks.

She might have just been dreaming of something terrible, but Gabriel couldn't have known that. His duty was to assume the worse. His duty was to assume that maybe Imogen had sent a curse in Marie's way and that now she was dying.

The Lightwood Shadowhunter didn't want to believe it, though. He realized that if anyone was strong enough to fight off wicked Warlock's spells and win, it was the girl he was holding onto so tightly as he was guided through the narrowing hallways of the London Institute.

He felt the presence of his father and William Herondale as he tried to match Charlotte Branwell and Jem Carstairs' pace. He felt their eyes burning invisible holes in his neck, but he didn't give it a second thought. The boy was far too preoccupied with saving Marie.

"Set her on this bed," Charlotte pointed onto the nearest mattress as everyone entered the Infirmary room.

Gabriel obeyed the woman, making sure to set the girl down gently and ever so carefully. He even unclasped her purple cloak, putting it over the chair that was positioned next to the bed.

"Mr Lightwood, what happened?" Charlotte's voice quivered as she touched Marie's forehead. It was ice cold to the touch.

The boy's hands flew straight to his head, pulling onto his hair. "I don't know, I swear. I-I-"

"Pull yourself together," Will's voice rang in Gabriel's ears as the Herondale boy roughly slammed him into the wall.

A yelp of pain escaped Gabriel's lips, although the impact did seem to pull him out of his hysterical state.

A pair of blue eyes which were holding a mixture of fear and anger in them collided with his own. Will Herondale looked as if he was on the edge of murdering Gabriel Lightwood. If he dared make a movement or take a breath, it might just be the last thing he does in this life.

"Will!" Jem ran toward his parabatai, but Will only sent a glare in his way.

"Don't worry, James," Will uttered, a sick smile dancing on his lips. "I am not going to kill him. Not before he tells us what the Hell happened to Marie, that is."