Fight For Freedom

Maria's POV

The guards came and escort me to the courtyard in front of the Cathedral. I notice Phoebus and the Gypsies in cages. While Esmeralda is on a pyre. I gasp and go to help her. But the guards grab both my arms and hold me in place. My father walks over to her. As the archdeacon comes out to see what is happening, guards block him off.

I look up at tower. "Quasi" I say.

"The prisoner Esmeralda has been found guilty of the crime of witchcraft. The sentence: death!" dad announces. The crowd cheers and I look at them disgusted. "The time has come, gypsy. You stand upon the brink of the abyss" he tells Esmeralda. He leans in and whispers in her ear. Gesturing to himself and the fire. She spits in his face.

"The gypsy Esmeralda has refused to recant. This evil witch has put the soul of every citizen of Paris in mortal danger" he tells the crowd.

"That's a lie!" I shout. "She is innocent, Quasi help us!" I yell looking up at the tower.

"Silence" dad orders me.

"I won't be silent" I snap. "Mother wouldn't of wanted this, she cared for everyone. Including the gypsies. Your the one that has been burning Paris to the ground. Not the Gypsies. You're the one killing innocent people, not them" I state.

"Recant or join the gypsies" dad sneers.

"I'd rather die then live in a world without love" I state as I look at Clopin briefly.

"You see this witch and the gypsies have poisoned the mind of my own daughter" he tells the crowd as I'm gagged. "For my daughter, for justice, for Paris, and for her own salvation! It is my shameful duty to send this unholy demon back where she belongs" he states. He touches the torch to the pyre, starting the fire.

"NO!!!" I hear Quasi yell as I scream through my gag trying to break free of the guards holding me. Esmeralda can't die. I won't let my father kill anymore people. I hear the bells quietly ring.

Quasi swings down and lands on the platform. Dad orders the guards to stop him Quasi quickly breaks Esmeralda's ropes. A trio of guards come at him. But Quasi grabs a torch and swings it at them, scaring them off. He grabs the rope and climbs back to the top of the Cathedral. Standing in front of the large round stain glass window.

"Sanctuary!! Sanctuary!! Sanctuary!!" Quasi yells. As he holds Esmeralda's body high above his head. The crowd cheers and I smile. Then smirk when I see my father's displeased look.

"Captain!" he says.

"Sire?" the new captain asks.

"Seize the cathedral" dad orders pointing to it. What? No, he claimed sanctuary. My father has gone to far. The soldiers head for the doors and a large piece of wood  falls down landing in front of them. And they scatter like ants.

"Come back, you cowards!" father yells and he turns to the men guarding Pheobus' cage. "You men! Pick up that beam! Break down the door!" he orders.

The men oblige Frollo, leaving only one man to guard Phoebus. Who grabs him around the neck from inside the cage. He bonks the guard on the head. As the guard falls to the ground, Phoebus grabs the keys to the lock.

The guards, meanwhile, have begun battering the door. Including one of my own. I stomp the others foot and elbow him hard in the stomach. I race over to Phoebus removing my gag. Phoebus unlocks his cage, then leaps on top of the cage pulling me up beside him.

"Citizens of Paris! Frollo has persecuted our people, ransacked our city!" I yell.

"Now he has declared war on Notre Dame herself! Will we allow it?!?" Phoebus demands as he holds a staff up.