Living in the Court of Miracles

Maria's POV

I wake up and look around confused then remember I am in the Court of Miracles. I'd bathed last night and wore a night gown to bed. But today I'd dress up as a gypsy. I notice Esmeralda and Djali are already up. As they are not in out tent. I go behind the screen get dressed.

I remove my pale cream night gown. Then slips on my yellow shirt and blue skirt. I put on the red/black corset and try to tie it up. But have trouble. "Maria?" Esmeralda calls as she enters the tent.

"I'm behind the screen, can you help with the corset?" I ask her.

"Of course" she says and comes behind me. She tightens it to show off my natural curves. But not so tight I can't breath. I then tie pale teal shawl around my wait.

"What do you think?" I ask as we step back into the main room.

"You look lovely, though a little pale. But we'll work on that later" she assures me. I smile as I sit in front of the vanity.

"You make wearing a corset look easy" I tell her as I start to brush my hair.

"I've had years of practice" she tells me. "The others are gathering for breakfast" she adds. I nod my head and put the brush down. I put a purple ribbon in my hair and put on the matching pale gold jewelry Clopin had brought for me.

"How do I look?" I ask Esmeralda as I do a small twirl.

"Like one of us" she states. "Lets go join the others" she says and we leave the tent. We go to the town square where the gypsies are gathered. Bowls of porridge are being served.

"There you are Esmeralda, will Maria be joining us?" Clopin asks from behind us. We turn to see him with Djali. He looks at me awestruck.

"Close your mouth cousin or you'll catch flies" Esmeralda tells him teasingly. He does so and I giggle. "Come Djali" she says and leaves me with Clopin.

"I take it you approve" I say with a smile as I walk over to Clopin.

"Sure do" he says smiling. "I always knew you were meant to be one of us" he states as he tucks a strand of loose hair behind my ear. "You look beautiful, my angel" he praises and I blush. "Come on, lets get you something to eat" he states. He leads me over to the cook who gives us a bowl of porridge each.

We sit down on a stone slab overlooking the rest of the town. "So how long have you been leader?" I ask him curious.

"Nearly ten years, I took over when I was nineteen after the last elder died. There was a town vote and I was nominated. I have been in charge ever since with my own council" he explains.

"Wow, that's amazing" I say with a smile. "Am I distracting you from your duties?" I ask him concerned.

"No, the place practically runs itself" he assures me. We have our breakfast and I help some of the girls with the dishes. Music then starts to play.

"Come dance with us" a group of children say grabbing my hands. I let me pull be over to the fire. We all start to dance and Esmeralda joins us with her tambourine. Djali prances around us blaring happily.

Someone pulls me close my back against their chest. We start to sway to the music. I look up to see Clopin and blush. He just smiles and kisses my cheek. He spins me out and then back into his chest. This time we're chest to chest as we continue to dance. He lifts me by the waist and twirls me around, making me giggle. We continue to dance until he pulls me onto a stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce our new member. Maria" he declares and the town cheers. "Welcome to our community, do you swear to follow our traditions, to lend a helping hand to any and all gypsies?" he asks me.

"I solemnly swear so to do" I tell him.

"Do you swear to never divulge this location to an outside? To put your follow gypsies first?" he asks me.

"I swear" I say.

"Than by the power invested in me as the Gypsy Leader, I make you an honoury Gypsy" he declares. The ground cheers and I hug him happily. "You're free my angel, you won't ever be caged again" he tells me

"If I was with you, I'd happily be caged" I tell him and he smirks. He gives me a flower.

"May I court you my angel?" he asks.

"Thought you'd never ask" I say smiling as I accept the rose and kiss his cheek. I then go back to Esmeralda and the children. I start to dance with them again. I've finally found the place where I belong and I'll die willingly to protect it from my father.

A/N

Picture above of Maria's new outfit and video above of the song.