Festival of Fools

Maria's POV

"COME ONE! COME ALL!
LEAVE YOUR LOOMS AND MILKING STOOLS
COOP THE HENS AND PEN THE MULES!
COME ONE! COME ALL!
CLOSE THE CHURCHES AND THE SCHOOLS!
IT'S THE DAY FOR BREAKING RULES!
COME AND JOIN THE FEAST...OF..." the crowd sing.

"Fools!" Clopin says as he appears from the crowd. I smile and clap politely. He smiles brighter when he sees me. He continues to sing.

"ONCE A YEAR WE THROW A PARTY HERE IN TOWN
ONCE A YEAR WE TURN ALL PARIS UPSIDE DOWN
EVERY MAN'S A KING AND EVERY KING'S A CLOWN
ONCE AGAIN, IT'S TOPSY TURVY DAY!
IT'S THE DAY THE DEVIL IN US GETS RELEASED" he sings.

"Good is bad and best is worst and west is east" the other performers sing.

"IT'S THE DAY WE MOCK THE PRIG AND SHOCK THE PRIEST" Clopin sings.

"On the day we think the most of those with least" the performers sing.

"EVERYTHING IS TOPSY TURVY AT THE FEAST OF FOOLS!" Clopin sings loudly.

"Topsy Turvy" the crowd says.

"EVERYTHING IS UPSY-DAISY!" Clopin shouts. There are White Balloons with clown faces on them and confetti in them. A needle pops them and confetti flies everywhere.

"Topsy Turvy" the crowd says again as father and I take our seats. I see Pheobus on his horse Achilles and give him a warm smile. He returns it.

"EVERYONE IS ACTING CRAZY
DROSS IS GOLD AND WEEDS ARE A BOUQUET
THAT'S THE WAY ON TOPSY TURVY DAY!" Clopin sings loudly.

"Topsy Turvy" the crowd sings.

"BEAT THE DRUMS AND BLOW THE TRUMPETS!" Clopin and the performers sing. The crowd repeat 'Topsy Turvy'. "JOIN THE BUMS AND THIEVES AND STRUMPETS
STREAMING IN FROM CHARTRES TO CALAIS" Clopin sings with the performers.

"SCURVY KNAVES ARE EXTRA SCURVY ON THE SIXTH OF 'JANUERVY'"Clopin sings solo.

"ALL BECAUSE IT'S TOPSY TURVY DAY!" the performers sing with Clopin. He jumps onto the stage to present the first performer.

"COME ONE! COME ALL!
HURRY, HURRY, HERE'S YOUR CHANCE
SEE THE MYSTERY AND ROMANCE
COME ONE! COME ALL!
SEE THE FINEST GIRL IN FRANCE
MAKE AN ENTRANCE TO ENTRANCE
DANCE LA ESMERALDA...DANCE!" Clopin sings. Clopin disappears in a puff of smoke, and Esmeralda appears in his place. She proceeds to perform a sultry dance.

"Look at that disgusting display" Dad tells Phoebus.

"Yes, sir" Phoebus says smiling as he watches Esmeralda. She continues to dance. She dances over to us and sits on dad's lap. She pulls out a handkerchief and wraps it around his neck playfully, using it to pull him closer. She moves in to kiss him, but jumps away at the last moment. Going back to the stage as dad yanks the handkerchief off his neck.

"Relax father, she is only performing" I tell him. Esmeralda bows as the crowd cheers. It is time to crown the king of fools. I wonder who it'll be this year? The one last year was a drunken fool.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, the piece de resistance" Clopin announces.

"HERE IT IS, THE MOMENT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!
HERE IT IS, YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT'S IN STORE!
NOW'S THE TIME WE LAUGH UNTIL OUR SIDES GET SORE!
NOW'S THE TIME WE CROWN THE KING OF FOOLS!" he sings. Last year's king, carried on the shoulders of the crowd, belches loudly. I roll my eyes, still a drunk fool I see.

"SO MAKE A FACE THAT'S HORRIBLE AND FRIGHTENING
MAKE A FACE AS GRUESOME AS A GARGOYLE'S WING
FOR THE FACE THAT'S UGLIEST WILL BE THE KING OF FOOLS! WHY?" Clopin asks us.