Butterfly Wings

Kokichi and I entered the dining room, spotting everyone gathered in a group beside the table, hazily staring at a large table of food tended by Kirumi Tojo.

We joined the cluster, also focusing intently at the table. The food all looked flawless, all having been prepared by the ultimate maid herself.

She'd cooked soft Belgium waffles, fluffy golden pancakes, deliciously seasoned eggs, plates upon plates of juicy berries, grapes and citrus, and even squeezed her own orange juice, managing to extract every single piece of pulp out of the pitcher.

"Kirumi, how did you do this?" Tenko asked in disbelief, drooling at the feast in front of her.

"The ultimate maid has her duties," she calmly responded, setting a shined spotless fork beside a bare plate.

Everyone stared at her in shock, amazed by her culinary abilities.

"Well the food's gonna get cold! Eat up," she urged, adjusting a clear vase of white roses and baby's breath sat in the middle of the table.

Everyone obeyed immediately, making their plates and sitting down next to each other.

I piled mine with fruit and waffles, ignoring the eggs. I had never been a big fan, no matter how delicious they looked.

Taking the open spot next to Kokichi, I sat Snow on the table in front of us, placing a shiny green apple in front of him.

"What's this there for?" Kokichi questioned, snatching the apple up before I could answer.

"Snow has to eat too! Return his apple immediately!" I laughed as I grabbed it back, my hand briefly brushing against Kokichi's.

His light touch left my fingers tingling, missing the warmth of his skin. Part of me wanted to set the apple down and intertwine his fingers with mine, not caring what the other students would think.

I reluctantly ignored that urge, instead setting the apple back in front of Snow and admiring how cute he looked.

Even if the bear was a gift from an evil headmaster, it was too adorable not to love, especially now that Kokichi and I had named it.

Digging into the food, I accidentally let out a small groan at how good the flavors were. Kirumi was a very good chef, as well as a great maid.

Kokichi glanced often at me while I ate, amused by how much I was enjoying the meal.

I somehow didn't notice the small smile on his face throughout breakfast.

***

Everyone soon finished up their food and cleaned up the dining room, all while Kirumi frantically insisted to do it herself. We were all extremely thankful for the meal, so we didn't make her do a bit of work.

After Kokichi, Gonta, and I scrubbed the dishes, and Gonta shattered a few, we all dispersed in partners to explore the academy, not having found much the day before.

I noticed Kaede and Shuichi walking together, their hands close.

'They would be cute together,' I thought as I made my way over to Kokichi, who was examining a small fluffy plant growing from a crack in the floor.