We Are Strong

June 22, 2002

"Zara, Nat!"

Jaclyn flung herself at her two friends, happy tears threatening to sting her eyes. She was squished between the two of them, Zara resting her chin on Jaclyn's head while Natania buried her head in her shoulder.

"It's been quite the year," Nat laughed, and pulling back Jaclyn could see actual tears were in her eyes.

Zara's strong arms wound around their shoulders, "but we're together now." Her smile said it all.

Jaclyn lead them up to her favorite cafe, nearly leaving her friends who hadn't seen her in a year to gawk at her as she talked to the hostess in perfect french. The transformation wasn't huge, but Jaclyn's eyes held contact, her voice was confident, her clothing once again represented who she was. The clean leggings and tightly wound ballet sweaters she wore between rehearsals was replaced with jeans, a red neck scarf tied in a knot at her neck like a flight attendant, and her AC/DC shirt tucked in.

Even as they sat the two English girls were still trying to swallow their shock. She definitely was not a fashion icon, but Jaclyn was finding her voice again, maybe even redefining herself.

"Four years of being together on this day, even if it is in a different place," Jaclyn chuckled, running her hands through her blonde hair that she had cut to her shoulders and straightened until it laid completely straight.

Zara laughed, "not like I'm complaining about having a reason to come to Paris."

Jaclyn joined in, but still felt a little guilty. Only being a quadrille she didn't get breaks like the other girls, nor the salary Alice and her were scraping by on rent and food, so it was more suitable for Zara and Nat to meet her. Natania had started out as a first artist at The Royal Ballet, something that would never be considered in Paris, so her schedule had a tiny bit more leeway.

Natania, being as sharp and observant as she was, probably sensed Jaclyn's embarrassment with this, and changed the subject. "What would you recommend from here?"

They went on to get their orders, and as her two friends were ordering her phone went off.

The Boy Who Lived: Have you seen the movie yet? It came out a month ago.

The Brightest Witch: I actually saw it last night. I wasn't too impressed with the Anakin's/Padme scenes):

"Who are you texting during our very sacred lunch?" Natania gasped, mocking hurt, and before she could put it away Natania snatched it from her hand. "Who's the boy who lived?" Her face scrunched looking over the tiny flip phone screen.

Zara didn't act surprised, if anything her face became rather questioning. "You're talking to my cousin and didn't tell us?"

"How do-"

"He's been secretly texting this person,"The Brightest Witch", for months now." She smacked Jaclyn's arm, but was grinning evilly. "What do they even mean?" Nat asked, pointing to the secret code names.

"Well, I came up with his because he has a scar on his forehead, but I don't know what mine means," her cheeks flushed, "I would like to point out though that our names are Harry and Hermione because we are simply friends."

Both girls sagged, but she ignored them. William and her made great friends, and even a year later she wasn't ready to move forward. Not when everything was settling in the dance world. Choreographers wanted to work with her again, she had gotten her first casting in December, but her first show with a guest choreographer had been in April.