Delicate Forces

October 7, 2000

"I don't know what the big deal is-"

"The big deal Jaclyn Amalia Webber, is that you didn't tell me!"

Jaclyn fell on her bed sticking her finger to her mouth for Natania to see. Her mom was ripping her a new one for keeping her new friendship with William a secret. she had planned on telling them, she really had, but the chance hadn't arisen yet. Besides was it really that important? any other person she wouldn't have had to mention in to her parents for approval.

On the flip side any other person she would have at least mentioned in casual conversation.

"How long has this been going on?" Her mother was smart enough to add up the dates, but she wanted her daughter to say it aloud to hear how absurd she was being.

Grumbling Jaclyn said, "about three and a half months."

"We just would've liked a warning. It all happened at once," her mom sighed.

Sitting up straighter Jaclyn's chest contracted, feeling like the invisible box she imagined for class, had been placed around her torso. "What happened mom?" Her words were exhaled quickly her heart blocking the path for air to reach her lungs.

"It was nothing dear," Michelle tried to soothe hearing the panic rising in her daughter's voice, "Their were just a lot of those reporters at the house and shop. Tricia called and said they were at the studio too, but it's really no big deal."

Now Jaclyn felt horrible. Perhaps, if she had just told them from the get go they wouldn't have been so overwhelmed.

"Jackie sweetie, don't let anyone drive you anywhere ," her Gaga had yelled over the phone probably pressing up to her mother. There was a pause probably with a glare from her mother. "Don't listen to Gaga dear. She only-"

"Worries?" Jaclyn asked. She paid close enough attention to everything her family said to know what was coming next.

She really didn't want to be dealing with this at the moment, she was still dwelling on her classes yesterday. Where she couldn't do anything in technique, and looked like a toddler first learning to dance in rehearsal.

"Exactly, and you can't blame her for doing so," Michelle chided lightly using that crisp mom voice, "it was only three years ago Jac."

"Can I speak to dad? He seems to be the only reasonable one in this family." Her mother grunted, but still handed the phone off to her dad. Jaclyn could tell from his silence that he wasn't sure how to feel on the matter, but he wasn't about to let her hear him panic.

"You can't go one day without giving your mother and grandmother a heart attack can you?" He tisked usual bored voice coming through the phone. For once his nonchalance on everything soothed her nerves the others in her family spiked.

"I'm not even Will's girlfriend-"

"You're not dating, but he touches you like that?" Her dad asked his eyes most likely raising with his question. "Pictures can be misleading," she mumbled glaring at Natania who's head , while balancing in a passè, cocked to the side.

"I didn't know him kissing you on the hand was misleading," he stated sounding quite amused. Jaclyn rolled her eyes turning away from her spying friend and roommate as she mumbled, "so much for reasonable."

"Has he contacted?" Her father asked, voice hinting that what she said could alter his mood. Jaclyn knew he was immediately speaking of her grandfather, her Papa Hutch as he once was. No one set her father's blood on fire more than the man who had almost ripped their family apart.