What Makes a Slyph

The video above is really long I know, but the part mentioned in this chapter is only the first few minutes.

January 2, 2011

Having her family around ended up being more relaxing than Jaclyn expected. A good reality check. Nice to be around people she didn't have to pretend with.

Her grandma's fawned over her ring every chance they got, taking her hand in awe at least once an hour trying to remember every detail.

"Does it feel like yours?" Glenda asked later on Christmas day. Jaclyn had only nodded a smile matching her happy blush as she touched the sapphire. Something no one else in her family could force themselves to do. They all knew the ring was equal to the amount of money her dad could make in five or more years, and something so valuable on her hand was hard to swallow.

Seeing their unease, in some twisted way, kept things in perspective. She cannot get caught in the glamour of Williams life, it cannot consume her.

Which is what she reminds herself as she flies down the hall of Clarence House

There's really no time for visiting in her schedule. She's been in the studio for eight hours a day since the day after Christmas, but one text from William that says emergency in all caps, and she finds it much easier to run over there on her lunch break when really she was planning on napping in the dressing room.

Clarence House is as it always is. Airy and untouchable in it's pastel richness. So unlike the richly colored rooms of Kensington and Buckingham Palace, and for the first time in ten years she allows herself to take notes of the bright designs of each room she passes. William had only mentioned she would get to remodel their designated apartment at KP in passing, but now it consumed her mind.
Clarence House felt oddly like a home, and Jaclyn wanted that.

She turns one last corner into her favorite room, the light blue furnishings almost white and paling in the sun that gleamed through the chiffon curtains.

William and Charles were a stark contrast to the delicate room. The latter apprehensive and tense while her boyfriend sat lost in his thunderous thoughts. Charles was the first to see her, clearly forcing a smile as he gestured for her to come in. "Jaclyn, dear-"

"I know I'm late, I'm so sorry..." She's rambling hands dancing in front of her animatedly, and between each glance she focuses on Charles she turns to William to see if he's okay. Two weeks passed since their late night goodbye, but William looked years older. Exhaustion highlighted under his eyes in darkening patterns, his forehead sinched inwards to his eyes, and his hands running through his hair.

Despite the clear tension riddling the room Charles tried again to smile, it was easier to do when he felt like laughing at his soon to be daughter in laws rambles. "Self awareness is a virtue."

"So is punctuality."

She playfully glared at William, praying her relief at his teasing words wasn't as obvious as she felt it was. "I haven't seen you for over a week and this is the greeting I get?"

Charles cleared his throat, their sweet moment shattering as William turns to him. The burdened air that trapped her earlier returns. Her fiance's sweet smile dimmed with his suddenly hardened eyes. "I'm afraid there's something you must know."

His words are grave, locked with weighted chains, and Jaclyn winces through a brief inhale preparing for the worst. Wedding details leaked, or the palace was back tracking on the decided guest list. Things that would cause a slight headache, but are overall manageable.

"Your grandfather's coming to your closing show."

For a second Jaclyn processes this information. Contemplating the straightforward statement, and getting lost over what the problem is. She shrugs, arms hugging her waist, "I... know? I mean he's at my apartment-"