CHAPTER 24

Emerald St. Clair's POV

I went inside the coffee shop where Al-Farsi and I decided to meet the following morning after we came back to New York.

I glanced at my wristwatch and realized that I was 15 minutes early. Oh, well. I will just order my coffee and wait for him.

I went to the counter to order an Iced Caramel Macchiato with extra two pumps of espresso. Once I placed my order to the friendly barista, someone called my name beside me.

"Dustin?" my eyes widened in surprise. Dustin was my first boyfriend in high school. Let's just say I was kinda mean to him back then. I agreed to become his girlfriend as an act of revenge on Al-Farsi.

"So, you still remember me?" he smiled at me. His friendly brown eyes danced with laughter. "I thought you had forgotten me since you are now a famous model."

I rolled my eyes in his direction. "Of course I remember you. How are you?"

He was about to answer when someone cleared their throat behind us. We turned around to see that we were holding up the queue. We went to the receiving counter to get my order.

"So," Dustin said once we got our order. "Are you alone? Let's chat some more to catch up for old times' sake."

"Huh...?" I looked at the door and there was still no sign of Al-Farsi. A part of my brain told me that this was a bad idea, but a small part of me couldn't turn down his offer since I was still remorseful about my heartlessly using him in the past. He's a nice guy, after all. I think a few minutes while waiting for the egotistical king could not hurt, right?

"Emerald?"

I smiled in his direction brightly. "I am actually waiting for someone, but yeah, sure. Why not?"

We went to sit at the vacant table at the far end of the coffee shop. I took the opposite chair facing him while he got the full view of what was happening inside the coffee shop.

"How are you?" my ex-boyfriend asked. "It's been a while."

"I'm good," I replied, sipping my coffee. "How about you? Are you married?"

He smiled brightly in my direction. I frowned slightly. I think he got it wrong, my question, I mean. "I'm very much single, Emerald. How about you?" He pointed and looked at my ringless finger. "Single?"

"Yeah," I didn't exactly lie to him. I am very much single despite recently losing my virginity to the soon-to-be crowned king of Saqr. There was no real label in our relationship. We were just pretending. And then there's my unofficial fiancé.

It's complicated the more I think about it. This war I am having with granddad is starting to become a pain in the ass...

He grinned at me. His eyes were utterly pleased. Clearly, he was happy to hear my answer. "I am having a hard time replacing my beautiful first ex-girlfriend. I've tried in the past, but no one can match up to her beauty."

Huh?

I gave him a slightly forced smile. Oh, boy. This is trouble. I think he was hinting at something. I glanced at my wristwatch. Ten minutes until Al-Farsi is expected to arrive. I need to send him away before he crosses the path with that jealous man.

"How about you, Em?" Dustin said conversationally. "Why are you still single?"

I sipped my drink. I could feel the danger coming my way. "Busy with my work."

"Being a famous model, you mean." Brown eyes smile at me. "I still have a hard time believing when I see your pictures on magazines and billboards that you were once my girlfriend. Even my friends at med school don't believe me."