34.2~ Watch

WARNING: Contains some triggering description towards the end. Reader discretion is advised.

October 25th, 2023

"Cook."

I did the sign for 'cook', following the instructor on the video.

"Bake."

I copied the sign for 'bake'.

"Stir."

My phone buzzed, briefly distracting me. I paused the video and checked. I'd been added to a group chat called 'Girlies <3' by Thelma on FamiliarFaces.

I bit my lip. I didn't like group chats. But they were my friends, right?

Opening it, I read the incoming texts. ihavetoomanyAPs (Thelma Williams): ok i added her

Kate_T_Jacobs536 (Katelyn Jacobs): yaay

ihavetoomanyAPs: imma add mildred too i forgot

I swallowed and nervously texted, 'Hi'.

ihavetoomanyAPs: hi Diana

im sorry i got so mad at u last week

have u been doing ok? we havent talked in a while.

Sunflowergirl3482: Doing good, bit boring.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Ms. Howells announced behind me. "Don't do anything stupid."

"I'll be here," I sighed. It was a miracle she was even leaving.

'ihavetoomanyAPs (Thelma Williams) added dawsonaction (Mildred Dawson) to Girlies <3'

ihavetoomanyAPs: hi Mildred this is Thelma

We met at the dance on friday

dawsonaction: bout time yall added me

ihavetoomanyAPs: sry i forgot, i only made the group yesterday

It was good to know the other girls had met Mildred.

idkwtdwml (Blanche Parsons): whos Mildred? (nervous laughing emoji)

Blanche?! What was she doing in here? Did Thelma not know what happened?

alma_santiago2860 (Alma Santiago): dianas friend from her bus. we met her at the dance.

Alma was here, too?

idkwtdwml: oh ok. i didnt go. nice to meet u @dawsonaction

dawsonaction: im sorry gurl but what is that username? (laughing emoji) not to be mean

idkwtdwml: ur good. and idk, i made this acount when I was like 12 lol

I put my phone down. If Blanche was in this group, I didn't want to be a part of it. She was probably fishing for another chance to get the big 'scoop' for her club.

I squirmed uncomfortably. It was about time for me to change, but Ms. Howells was still in the bathroom. Maybe I could go downstairs.

I stood, stretching, and crouched to fish my pads out from under my bed. Susan had been kind enough to buy me plenty of them, without the men knowing. They were stashed under my bed.

As I rose, the sudden whoosh from standing up made me stumble backwards. My pile of diaries on my desk fell to the floor. I sighed, putting my pad in my pocket, and picked them up. One of them flipped open.