3. Critique - How Not to Respond to a Review

The lights in the room were off making it so the only light came from Angeline's computer. She quickly typed what she had wrote into her journal that day at school. The new chapter to her story was up in a matter of minutes, and she proceeded to check the reviews to see if there were any new comments on her story. She stopped short when she read one particular comment.

"I like your story idea, but there are some problems. The first problem with your story is that it is hard to read because of the grammar issues in your story. You should think about getting a Beta to help you with said issues. I am also bothered by the characterization in your story. I don't remember the main character of the story being that concerned about her appearances, nor do I remember her being that shallow minded and rude."

"There are also plot holes in your story where you say one thing, but write another. At one point for example you say the main character is sixteen, but at another you say she is fifteen. Some of these plot holes occur from chapter to chapter, but others occur within chapters."

Angeline's fingers tapped against her mouse buttons while the corners of her mouth twisted up. She could feel a deep feeling rising up from her chest as she fought back the urge to cry, or even throw something across the room. A lot of thoughts crossed her mind, but the final one she settled upone was, "How dare she tell me how to write my story!"

Her fingers went to keyboard in order to write out her response. "Sweetie, I didn't ask you. If you don't like then don't read. I don't like people like you because all you do is tear people down rather then leave them alone. Go complain to a person who does care."

She let out a deep breath and thought that would be the end of the situation.

The reply Angeline gave is actually based off a reply I received in the past from someone I critiqued on another site – a site I might add allows full blown critique. The first issue I pointed out to the writer was that she was committing plagiarism. The second issue I pointed out was that she needed to clarify things so readers didn't think she was going for an incest pairing when she actually wasn't. Both are serious issues the writer did need to address. Plagiarism is as I've noted in chapter two is stealing. As a writer you want what you intend to get across, and not something you don't want.

The response I received went like this.

"ok you know what shut the heck up! No body asked you and it only goes to show you know NOTHING! Just because I have not really included her in the beginning few chapters does not mean that she isn't going to have more of an impact later! And secondly no this will not be an incest because despite what you think I do know that [blank] would never do that! If you don't like my story that's fine, but don't go picking it apart when you have no idea where I'm going with it or how my character will differ later in the story or how I plan to change things! People like you really piss me off because you're always tearing people down when you should just leave them alone! Go complain to someone who cares and leave us nonjudgmental people alone!"

Why am I choosing to share the response I received from the writer? First – there is no way to identify the writer via the reply they sent me. Second – the reply is ideal for discussing what not to do when you receive critique because the response is filled with quite a few things a writer shouldn't do when responding to a reviewer. What though does responding well to critique have to do with being a good writer? The answer to that question is something I plan on covering in the next chapter This chapter focuses on how to respond to critique when received.

Address the person you're responding to in a polite manner. This particular writer started off their reply by cursing me out, and telling me to shut up. Telling a reviewer to shut up says that you the writer that you don't want to listen to what they have to say, but that you also feel what ever they have to say has no value what-so-ever. This kind of reaction also amounts to a tantrum on your part.