6. Canon Facts and Canon Interpretations

The sun beat down onto Angeline's bare shoulders as she headed to the car so her mother could drop her off at Amelia's house so they could go and see a movie like they did every weekend. This particular movie was the next adaption in a series the girls enjoyed. After the movie they went to a local restaurant to discuss things while Amelia's mother sat at another table drinking coffee with her work computer.

"I can't believe they added that whore." Amelia sat back in her chair crossing her arms in irritation.

Danni blinked a couple of times. "How is she a whore?"

"Couldn't you tell? That chick was drawing attention away from my boyfriend." Elizabeth's cheeks twisted up as she crossed her arms.

"I thought we talked about this..." Angeline sighed while her eyes rolled back into her head. "You don't own Ellian and thus can't claim him as your boyfriend."

"Still... they should be ashamed of themselves. They know Ellian has a major fan base."

"I thought she liked Foiric and had no interest in Ellian." Danni blinked a couple of times again.

"Doesn't change the fact Ellian was falling for her." Amelia leaned forward onto her arm.

"I thought it was just his father who thought that."

"No, no... you're interpreting the canon wrong." Angeline rolled her eyes again.

"Anyways... let's talk about the Greyish Sharps fandom instead. I don't want to talk about my boyfriends being with other girls."

"You keep forgetting Gregory is with Sophie." Amelia rolled her eyes. "Thus we agreed..."

"Gregory's not with Sophie! They're not getting along for one thing, and don't they think of each other as siblings."

"Better that ship then yours of Gregory and Wilmenia! They never met!"

Danni's mouth twisted up. "I don't think you guys even understand what you're talking about."

"Yes we do."

...

Understand the concept of canon is important when writing fanfiction, but navigating the rules for canon in regards to what is canon, and what isn't canon as well as how to interpret a work and how not to can be complicated. I could go straight into how to use canon within ones stories, but I think it is more important to cover first — what amounts to canon, and second — how to interpret canon.

I'll Start off With Some Terminology

Words can have more then one meaning, and thus one should keep this in mind when dealing with any kind of terminology.

Canon ~ This particular word for example has multiple meanings.

— The first definition for canon is the body of work which is considered official. I'll be referring to this type of canon as "the body of work". This includes what we call tie-in-novels.

— The second definition for canon is the body of work created by the original creator. I'll be referring to this type of canon as "the original creator's work", and works created by others as their works.

— The third definition of canon is what constitutes canon fact. This is what I'll be referring to as canon.

— The forth definition of canon are fanfiction works which do not contradict canon fact with the exception of points where the writer is purposefully exploring what kind of effects a change to canon would have on the story. I'll refer to these as "canon compliant".