3.2.1 - Crossing the Line in a Review/Comment

"I have the right to say whatever I want."

No, you don't.

Some people are under the impression freedom of speech means just that, the right to say or write anything they want. They believe all forms of speech are protected, yet they're not. There's a difference between critique and mocking a writer. There's a difference between critique an idea's plausibility and mocking said idea.

Pay attention to publication dates.

No, seriously. Pay attention to publication dates. There is a concept in fanfic called Jossed, where a headcanon gets Jossed as being plausible within the canon material. People are still allowed to work with these headcanons after they are Jossed, but a writer with a story started before the headcanon was Jossed is under no obligation to forewarned readers there is Jossed material. It's the readers job to pay attention to that publication date, but if they missed said publication date an apology is owed the writer. Mind you, this should not be confused with ideas which are Jossed but were not plausible even before said idea was Jossed.

Know your canon.

There's a chance someone thought of something you didn't. The fact you didn't think of that idea – an idea which feels in the gap – doesn't mean it's not a legit idea or interpretation of the canon material. More specifically, never tell someone to go and find the canon proof that their idea isn't valid particularly after they've given you a solid argument why their idea is valid. In fact, if you're not willing to dig out the canon proof to support your point don't even bother commenting and acting like you know the canon material.

But their idea really doesn't work! They're still insisting they're right!

Leave them alone.

No, seriously. They're not worth your time. You can put forth valid arguments all you want, but if they keep using logic fails on you, they'll keep using logic fails. Well, younger readers may grow out of their logic fails. Adults, not so much.