2.3 - How to Properly Paraphrase and Write an Introspective

There are a few writers who think that their stories aren't plagiarism, despite the fact they are, as it seems what is or isn't allowed, but how to avoid plagiarism is still a tad confusing.

In one case a Star Wars fan copied one of the novels making a few edits, something I confirmed by pulling up the preview for said novel on Amazon, Recently, a writer admitted to using scenes from the Harry Potter series, but that their work didn't count as plagiarism because, first, they gave credit to Rowling. Second, they added additional scenes to the work. Third, their work counted as an AU.

However, what they've done is still plagiarism, at least from what they've told me, as I've yet to look at said a piece.

First, as I mentioned in 2. Plagiarism vs. Inspiration, 'it is still plagiarism even if you give credit.' One will still find themselves dinged for plagiarism depending on how much; for example, on the other site I post to I came across a plagiarist who used 100% of the original work, and only 30% of the piece was actually written by this person. Typically, when someone adds in whole scenes from the original work, the amount used ranges from 80% to 100%, and the amount which is actually the plagiarists own work ranges from 50% to 0%. This is never "not plagiarism".

Second, the fact a story is AU doesn't stop a writer from being dinged for plagiarism either. However, I doubt the story is actually an AU. As I point out in 7. AU – Not Actually Infinite and the subsequent essays, there is more to an AU then changing the original work. All changes must follow a logical process, but in the case of these stories what is really going on is an editing of the original work.

What though is too much? How does one avoid copying too much of the original material? To successfully explain, I am first going to put forth the following example.

Harry sat on the train, watching the trees go by, wondering how his summer would turn out, having found out about his father's grandparents the previous year. He received a letter from the Potters asking him to come and visit them, something Dumbledore seemed quite reluctant to allow. The eleven-year-old boy couldn't figure out what Dumbledore was up to but soon found out from his grandparents that there was a particular protection over Evan's household, which was why they didn't push to raise him. Special arrangements were made by Dumbledore so he could go.

The young man got off the train, glad to be away from the Dursley's, but a tad miffed at the gleeful look on Dudley's face as he left. Mr. Potter seemed stern, looking down at him from a thin nose. The man seemed to emanate the pureblood status that Draco did, making Harry swallow. Mrs. Potter was more friendly, giving him a soft smile, and opening her arms wide, giving an even better hug that Mrs. Weasley, who'd greeted him when he finished with school. Yes, it was possible for someone to be a better hugger than Ron's mother.

Suddenly, Mr. Potter smirked, before taking his arm gently, telling him they would be apparating. They arrived at a small cottage, and Harry pulled his suitcase in, while Mrs. Potter began to put out tea. The man indicated Harry should sit. "So, how was your first year at Hogwarts."

"Interesting, sir. It was rather different from the Muggle world." The boy swallowed, wondering if he would get a negative reaction from the man.

"It is, isn't it? I worried a bit you wouldn't believe, but turns out you're far more interested in our world. That said, do you have any Muggle hobbies. Your father and his friend... that Black boy... they had a nasty habit of reading these Muggle magazines. What was the magazine?"

"I don't know. They certainly weren't my Muggle cooking magazines, that's for sure. You aren't into those magazines with girls."

"No! I don't think even Dudley is into those kinds of magazines. He's my mother's sister's child."