Chapter Twenty-Two: Dark Side

{Mature Content: Trigger Warning/Dark Themes}

++
+++Cameron+++
++

"I'm just saying it didn't make any sense how you could pole dance like an actual stripper," Cody discloses as we stuff our mouths at the lunch table, directing his words at Pat. 

"Why not?" he grunts in response, scrunching the bridge of his nose with a frown as his green eyes sink into a glare. 

"I thought Jack or I would be better is all," Cody shrugs, averting his gaze to his food until Pat pulls the tray from under his hands. 

"Why?" he repeats.

Dylan, Jack, and I continue munching on our food in silence as we watch the two of them yank Cody's tray back and forth. It isn't until Pat knocks a cup of water over into Jack's lap that they stop, their eyes widening as he stands up. 

"Because you're a clumsy, thick ass, bitch," Jack yells, smacking Pat on the back of his head before snatching a handful of napkins to wipe off his jeans.

"Ow," Pat whines, and when Cody laughs, he rises from his spot, reaches over and gives him a smack on the head as well. 

"Guys, cut it out before we get in trouble," Dylan interjects, pulling their heads out of their asses. "You should take it as a compliment, Pat. The girls loved the show we put on at the Halloween Party last year so much that they've volunteered to entertain for us Friday."

We spent most of the night planning out how and when to decorate Pat's place that by the time costumes came up, we couldn't think of anything. Every year we match and try to put on a show or skit, but with all the exams this week and a soccer game coming up, we will barely find time to decorate. Having girls from the volleyball team and yearbook club entertain will be a huge help.

"Define entertain," Jack purrs, resting his chin on his knuckles with intrigue.

"Lap dances for the entire soccer team."

The four of them talk over one another asking questions, giving details, and pitching ideas, but their voices fade from my range of hearing as my eyes survey the cafeteria for a third time. I keep checking to see if Rebecca shows up. Apparently she is either late for school, sick, or ditching, because no one has seen her all day.

I've been calling and sending texts between classes, but she isn't answering. 

"No way we're doing that, right Cameron?" Cody asks, nudging my shoulder with an elbow. 

"Doing what?" I frown, completely clueless as to what they're talking about now. 

"Dude, what's got you so distracted?" Pat chuckles. "You didn't hear a word we said, did you?" Then, he turns to Cody sticking his tongue out. "That means it will be on the menu."

Maybe it's better if I don't know.

"They're talking about whether or not we should have alcohol at the party," Dylan fills me in. 

"Why do you guys always check with me about that?" I wonder. 

"You're Midfielder," Jack answers before chugging the rest of his protein shake. "That basically makes you Captain of the team."

Oh, right.

"My answers is no, then," I mutter. "That should be obvious. We can't drink the night before a game. I'm not going to spend the whole night making sure everyone on the team stays sober."

I don't mean to come off short with them. I just don't care about any of this right now. 

"Someone's grouchy," Pat notices.