Chapter Thirty-One: Trial and Tribulations

~~

~~~Rebecca~~~
~~

"Under arrest?" Aunt Cassie repeats, feigning a look of innocence and bewilderment. "For what?"

Deciding not to make a scene in the hallway, the Sheriff escorts her into Mr. Walker's hospital room while reciting her Miranda Rights and explaining the situation.

I wait until everyone else fills in behind them before wedging myself in the doorway.

"I didn't do those things. Don't be ridiculous!" she hysterically laughs, eyes seeking aid from the Walker's but only meeting glares and looks of disgust. Widening her gaze with a pout, she turns to Mr. Hesse. "Where's the proof?"

Clearly they have enough of something if the Sheriff himself came to make the arrest but just in case they don't and are trying to bluff for a confession, I share my own. Lifting my phone so the screen faces everyone, I play a recording from my home's front door.

While they're watching, my gaze fixates to the floor in fear of meeting eyes with Cameron.

He's probably furious. Worse than Jack. It's crazy to think up until this point we've never really even argued with each other. My skin is crawling. What if he yells at me, too? Looks at me with resentment? I would rather him break up with me.

"...He's not the first and he won't be the last," Aunt Cassie admits. "Not that it's any of your business..." I stop the video there and my eyes widen as Mrs. Walker rages over to Aunt Cassie, slapping her so loud the strike echoes.

"Were you going to assault, Luke, too? Cameron's friends?!" she shrieks accusingly. Seething. Her usually smooth, gentle features are now tight, rigid and a blazing red. "These are my children!" We all flinch at the generous spritz of saliva she spits into Aunt Cassie's face.

"Easy," Mr. Hesse murmurs, briskly stepping between them and encouraging Mrs. Walker to return to her husband's side. "Get her out of here," he then directs the Sheriff who finishes cuffing her before they start out of the room.

"It's not true, she edited that video! I was talking about something else," she rapid and fearfully protests, yelling towards Mr. Walker who doesn't even bother glancing up as she's removed. Only a tear trickles down his face the moment she's gone but he says nothing. Just continues hugging Cameron to his chest, cradling him as much as he can without being crushed under his son's weight.

Minutes later Mrs. Walker comes around hugging each of us, scolding the boys for not speaking up sooner yet reprimanding them in a way that doesn't shame them. None of the boys argue or attempt to justify their choices. They listen and wait until she's finished before offering hugs of comfort and checking on Cameron whose back has been towards us for a while.

I want to go to him. Hear his voice. Look into his eyes. Know he's okay. I want to hold him, too, but every fiber of my being is certain that right now is the worst possible time.

"You beat them to it," she sighs, dabbing away moisture in her eyes with the sleeve of her blouse. "This is why sometimes I wish I had a daughter," she whispers with a soft chuckle as she meets my eyes. "I'm glad Cameron has you, though. Thank you for looking out for my family."

Following her words, I am drawn into a long, warm-- motherly hug.

Family.

It's so nice, reassuring, but doesn't last long when she parts from me and asks us to step out again.

While I'd rather not be left alone with the man-whores, I trudge along behind them to the elevator where Mr. Hesse and the Sheriff are still talking. "Young Lady," I'm addressed, "here are our cards. Please email us that video recording. It will be one of our key pieces of evidence to use against her in court."