Chapter Eleven: Change of Heart

~~
~~~Rebecca~~~
~~

Friday is finally here which means a few things. It means Cameron and I have been secretly dating for two weeks, and that tonight I will be going to see him play at Birchwood's season kickoff game.

Do I know a lot about soccer?

Hell no, but it's alright because Brielle has been to their games before and is going to be there to help me keep up. On top of that, it's the only thing people were talking about during classes. Even Mr. Stiles seemed a little more tolerant of the man-whores and their relentless chatter today.

Driving home, I notice our town is buzzing with excitement, walking around wearing our school's blue and white colors and the fast food restaurants down the street are offering major discounts. It's always been like this which is why the man-whores are so popular and well-known, but I never really paid the hype much attention before now-- never really had a reason to.

But now I'm stoked, and it seems like the clock isn't ticking fast enough. By the time I get home, shower, change into an Adidas outfit-- a black track suit with Rose's of varying shades of blue running up the sides of the legs and covering the front of the long-sleeve sweatshirt where there is also a large print of the Adidas logo. Then, I retouch my makeup and still have about three hours left to kill.

Lucky for me, I spot another moving truck pull up to the Walker's house and when I take another stroll through the neighborhood, I find that Mrs. Walker is unaccompanied by her sons.

"Hi, Rebecca," she waves and me while helping the driver start to unload what looks to be just boxes of kitchen supplies and clothes from the labels I catch sight of.

"Hello, need an extra hand?" I offer, and her cheeks become rosy as she nods.

She is a tall, slim woman with long chocolate brown hair like Cameron's but instead of blue eyes hers are a warm brown, making my heart melt every time she flashes a bright smile as we make small talk and empty the truck into their house.

"Oh no, I forgot I need to pick up Luke from his practice today," she suddenly gasps when we've almost finished. "I could have Cameron do it. He should be on his way back by now," she starts pondering, tapping her fingers on the counter. "No, said I would take him to get a gift for Cameron to give him when they win tonight."

She sounds so certain when she says it that I start to wonder if I need to pick up some kind of gift, too. That's what couples do, right?

"I could stay to finish bringing in the boxes for you," I speak up, when her forehead starts to wrinkle from all the frowning she's doing as she thinks. "The elementary school is just a few minutes a away."

She smacks her hands to her cheeks and rushes up to grasp my shoulders.

"Are you sure? I don't want to hinder any of your plans. You've been so helpful and generous already," she replies, her eyes widening with concern.

She's so sweet.

"Really, it's not a problem. I'm going to the game later and need something to keep me busy," I shrug, and then gasp when she pulls me into a bear hug.

"You're an angel, thank you!" she exclaims and then rushes to the garage, grabbing her keys. "The truck driver is a little suspect, but harmless. However, if he makes you uncomfortable I keep pepper spray in the drawer by the fridge. Otherwise, Cameron or I should be back in a short while," she calls over her shoulder before slamming the door shut behind herself.