Chapter Twenty-Four: Curiosities

{Warning: Mature Sexual Content}

++
+++Cameron+++
++

Laughter.

There's no sound that compares to it. I also don't think there is anything as contagious. Watching Luke reenact our trick-or-treating battle, it's no wonder our parents are in tears and my own stomach aches. If a career in acting isn't part of Luke's future, I'll be surprised.

"We turned Cameron and Dylan into chickens," he concludes with a smug look on his face as he crosses his thin arms over his chest.

"I see," Dad sighs in an attempt to settle his chortling.

Chewing the last of my burrito, I decide not to defend my pride. This is the first visit to the hospital with all of us together that hasn't gone south. It helps that my mom and I have been talking more. The air seems lighter now.

"It was nice of you to help Lily feel better," Mom chimes in, wiggling her eyebrows at Luke. "She told me that you held her hand when you guys walked up to the first few houses."

Oh?

Dad and I share looks of intrigue with our eyebrows arching as we wait to hear what he has to say. At first, he blows air into his cheeks until they round like balloons and then he drops his arms with the release of his breath.

"I was just being a good friend," he shrugs, but starts pacing in small steps in front of Dad's bed and staring down at the floor as though to avoid making any eye contact.

No way.

Does he finally have a crush?

"Yeah, girls hold hands with people all the time," I toss in with a tone of indifference. "It doesn't mean anything."

My parents glance over with looks of doubt until I gesture with a small wave for them to play along.

"You're probably right," Dad agrees and Luke halts his pacing so quick that his shoes scuff the floor.

"Nuh uh," he protests, setting his hands on his hips. "I go to school with her and she never holds hands with anyone except Max."

I smirk.

"That's an interesting observation," Mom adds, tapping her chin with a finger. "How do you know she never holds hands with anyone else?"

"Because I watch her--" he trails off the moment the words leave his mouth and then slaps a hand over his forehead. "I mean I help watch over her for Max. He worries when leaves class to go to the bathroom and stuff."

Nice save.

"I suppose that's fair," Dad offers him a reassuring wink.

"Unless she holds hands with you at school, too," I murmur, using a napkin to wipe crumbs from my lips. "She slipped her hand into yours without even thinking about it the moment you offered, so she must be comfortable with you."

His cheeks turn a light shade of pink as he scowls at me. "Cameron!"

"Ah ha! You didn't deny it."