16. Ape tendencies

Hello my amazing readers! Surprise, surprise, I'm not dead. I would definitely tell you the reason for my late updates but honestly, it feels like I'm making excuses😅
Anyways, enjoy!

16. Ape tendencies

"Hey, person I'm not in a team with?"

"What?"

"When the bloody hell will we stop?"

Luke looks over his shoulder, a bored expression on his face. Then he looks up, at the setting sun.

You'd think it would be romantic being in a forest with exotic birds and beautiful sunsets.

Yeah... No. Not when you haven't eaten since morning and not when your 'partner' is a total asshole.

"Perhaps we're done for the day," he says, almost grudgingly

With a sigh, I drop my bag on the ground. My stomach rumbles for the billionth time today. At least I'm not thinking of eating Luke, due to courtesy of Korra. Her spell locked out a lot of things, including my werewolf appetite.

I glance at him from the corner of my eye. Is he really going to ignore me? For how long? Should I apologise again?

No! I apologized once, twice actually! I'm not going to shatter my ego for his!

I nod at my inner voice but once again, my stomach reminds me that I need food.

Think Elise, think! What can you possibly do?

I look around place we'd stopped and then an idea lights up in my head. I could climb a tree and see if there's any fruit trees around.

My mind made, I start my climb on a tree, my ape tendencies in full swing. Luke finally decides to acknowledge my existence.

"What are you doing?"

"Climbing."

"For what reason?"

I look back and give him a foul look "I thought I should just hang myself. Who knows, afterlife might not be so bad."

With a nod, Luke opens a bag and pulls out a coil of rope. He tosses it at me and I clumsily catch it.

"You're going to need that," he says and goes back his inspection of the map

No, Elise. You can't kill him. He's your only hope of survival.

I balance the rope on a branch and stand on one myself. Through the thick veil of leaves and boughs, I look around the neighborhood, searching for the supreme form of life; food.

Trees. Rocks. Dirt. More trees. Moving plants. More rocks─

Wait, what?

My gaze snaps back to the moving patch of brown and green. Breath hitches in my throat.

Just under me, I see metal first. The long metallic muzzle of a gun pointed straight at my asshole of a partner. The holder has brown hair and wearing a dark green shirt; camouflage.