NEW. 51. Stink of the mate bond

What's up peeps! I'm uploading some highly edited chapters today, hope u enjoy them!

Also, please follow me on Instagram at; jv_weez

51. Stink of the mate bond

“Sneaking out, Hazel?”

I freeze in my tracks.

Which, by the way, isn’t really easy. Given I’m half hanging out of the bedroom window.

Clearing my throat, I pull myself up a bit, grinning sheepishly as I catch Luke’s eyes. He’s leaning against the bedroom door, arms crossed loosely across his chest.

“Hello mate,” I croon “You finally remember I’m alive?”

Luke takes the liberty to walk over to the window and all but pull me inside the room, his arms wrapping around my waist.

“Do I want to know where you were going?” He asks, but amusement gleams in his stormy gaze

“Who says I’m not just returning from my rendezvous?” I pick off an imaginary piece of lint from my shirt

“Because I’m just returning from my rendezvous,” Luke says, interlocking his fingers with mine and leading me out of the room “And I’d have seen you climbing up.”

“Where were you?” I narrow my eyes at him

After our date last night, I’d woken up this morning in an empty bed and a little note saying he’ll be back soon.

So after having breakfast, and then boring myself to death, I figured I might just try to climb out of the widow and jump down, test out that Luna strength a bit.

“Off to deal with something important,” Luke says “And you’re about to find out what.”

With that, he leads me into his office and there, in one of the visitor’s chair, I see someone.

Yellow and gold teeth are bared at me in a wicked smile, the hunched figure of a woman all too recognizable sweeps in a crooked bow.

“I suppose I should bow ta ya, now, dearie?” Korra says

I school my features into calm, despite the sudden clamor in my head. The masking of my mark. I resist the urge to rub at the spot where my neck meets the shoulder.

“There’s no need for that,” I say, in what I hope is polite calm “How are you?”

Kora waves a withered hand in dismissal “I’ve seen better days.”

Luke gives my hand a squeeze as I glance at him. Then he leads me to his high back chair behind the desk and pulls it back.

When he doesn’t sit down, I look up at him and realize he’s pulled it out for me.

With no small amount of satisfaction, I sit down. Luke’s hand comes down on my shoulder, a warm, pleasant reminder that anything that might hurt me will sooner be turned to splinters.

Luke’s asses her with his stormy gaze “You knew, didn’t you?” 

Kora snorts “My nose was burnin’ with the stink of the mate bond between ya two.”