36. My dearest moralist

Hello my lovely readers! Here's the second chapter of the day!

Enjoy!

36. My dearest moralist

I wake up in a soft bed, huddled in the covers, I can feel the gentle warmth of sunlight coming from the gap in the window curtains.

I sigh in comfort and make myself easy against this horribly stiff pillow, the blanket absurdly heavy around my waist.

Wait, what?

My eyes open and I almost scream my lungs out when I see the living being next to me.

Holy mother of ducks! What in the bloody hell—

My eyes travel up and find a familiar face.

Oh.

My shoulders relax and I let out a breath of relief, the events of last night come back to me.

Curiously, I watch his face perfectly relaxed. His features slack of the usual rigidity, lips slightly parted and hair falling into his eyes. He looks almost cute.

Strange as it is, I’ve never seen Luke relax. Not even once. Not even during the times I was keeping watch and he was sleeping.

A small smile tugs at my lips. Luke may complain all he want about these breaks but he sure is enjoying his sleep. It’ll do him good, to take it a little easy.

How can he take it easy when his life literally depends on winning this Hunt?

Without wanting to, my mind wanders to how Luke must’ve dealt with all this since the age of 11, just a child, being told that he might become a monster.

I sigh. Its too early for thoughts like this. Unthinking, I move my hand to brush away the hair falling in his eyes. I hold back a squeal, I really do need to ask him what he uses to keep it so soft.

The next moment all my thoughts go out of the window when his hold on me tightens abruptly, his eyes snap open, pupils dilated to tell me he’s gone into survival mode.

I slowly retreat my hand with an apologetic smile. Luke lets out a breath, the tension in his frame leaves and his eyes fall shut again.

“Sorry,” I say softly “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

Luke give the barest shake of his head “Don’t apologize,”

I furrow my brows in confusion “I didn’t wake you?”

“You did,”

Surprisingly, he offers me a sleepy smile, eyes open just enough to give a glance of the darkest blue.

“But you never have to apologize to me,” Luke says

A small chuckle leaves my mouth “Even when I annoy you with all my rambling?”

His smile deepens “Specially then.”

“Don’t back out later,” I grin

Luke brushes his knuckles across my cheek, making my heart skid to a halt “I’m a man of my words.”