48. Set in his ways

48. Set in his ways

I knock at the office’s door.

A moment later, I crack it open and peek my head inside. Luke’s looks up from where he’s working at his table.

“Did I disturb you?” I smile at him

Luke shakes his head “Come in.”

I slip inside and close the door behind. Its been a while since breakfast and now that I’m tired after reading books in the library I decided I should do something else.

“What are you doing?” I ask, perching myself on his desk

“Something boring,” Luke says with a sigh, he glances up at me “When I’d rather be doing something else.”

My brows raise, along with the corner of my mouth “Pity you have to keep working.”

He sighs again. I lean forward to inspect the file, looking more like a calander where there’s a note under each date and Luke is filling up the rest.

“Anything I can help with?”

“I’m afraid I have to suffer through this one alone.” Luke says, his eyes flicker to me yet again “did you call your mom?”

“Yup.” I nod “she wants me to come back as soon as possible.”

This time, Luke closes the file and sets it aside, turning in his chair to face me fully “Did you tell her?”

I bite my bottom lip and shake my head “I figured it’ll be easier to explain if I just tell her in person.”

Luke lets out a breath, leaning back in his chair. I furrow my brows, I thought he’d want me to tell her as soon as possible.

Noticing my confusion, Luke takes my hands in both on his. My heart rate doubles by the small contact, but I do my very best to keep my head.

“Elise, keep an open mind about what I’m going to tell you,” Luke says, his voice is as hard as always, but I notice the pinch of concern in it

“Okay,” I nod at him calmly

“We cant let anyone know about us,” he holds my hands tighter “Not until I officially become Alpha Supreme, not until we move to the New York HQ.”

“Why?” My face is all angles of confusion

A shadow crosses his face “If anyone found out about you, it wont take them long to plan something to get to me.”

“Get to you for what?” I ask

“I’m a new leader, not even official,” Luke says “There are countless people probably planning assassinations right now.”

I stare at him, mind running a million miles per second. Luke searches my face, looking for a hint of what I’m thinking. Considering the way his grip tightens a notch, I think he comes up short.

I shrug.

The look of pure surprise on his face makes a laugh bubble from my lips.

“Alright, so we cant make it public just yet.” I grin at him, eyes crinkling in amusement “It’s only for like what? One week?”

Luke flashes me a small smile, the relief on his face barely readable but definitely there. He presses a kiss to either of my hands.

“I thought you would insist that you can keep yourself safe.” He says

“I can, Winters.” I say, raising my chin “But I’d rather not look over my shoulder every ten seconds to make sure no one is stalking me for taking me hostage.”