twenty-eight

EMMA

Today's the big day. Gemma's big day. It'll be the wedding of the year, at least, although this decade is probably more likely.

All our careful planning and every minuscule decision comes down to tonight's ceremony and reception. Thinking about everything - the dish-ware and the napkins, the centerpieces and goodie bags, the menu and the desert buffet, the music, speeches and floral arrangements - coming together gives me tingles all over.

Rolling over and stifling a yawn, I catch the time on my phone.

Ugh. Five A.M.

Gemma wanted something romantic and whimsical and of course, chose a site over state lines. The pictures of the location, physically seen only by the couple pre-ceremony, do look perfect, somewhere along the lines of what you'd expect from a woodland fairy getting married.

Large trees with thick trunks and billowing branches, covered in light petals and hanging moss, string lights and silk curtains to decorate the scene, all looking over an ever calm lake.

It will be lovelier than any wedding I've ever been to.

Even still, Adam and I have lots of driving to do today. Especially since the bride and groom would like to stay separated until the ceremony.

Which isn't so bad, considering the awkward news I shared with Adam earlier this week...

Okay, enough dallying. Time to get going. As I sit up, a little tumbling feeling in my lower belly stops me in my tracks.

Was that...?

With one hand over my mouth, I use the other to gently press my abdomen and receive a soft flutter in response.

"Oh, my God," I whisper, warmth erupting in my chest. The baby twitches again, so gently it's almost not noticeable, and I can't help the little squeal that escapes my lips. This hasn't happened before, or if it has, I've been too preoccupied to feel it.

"Hi baby," I murmur softly to my stomach, grabbing my phone immediately and waiting for the call to connect.

"Beau?" I blurt as soon as he picks up, not giving him the chance to even say hello. "Beau, you should come over now."

"What?" His tone is serious, concerned. "Is something wrong? Are you okay?"

Zeus barks loudly in the background, picking up on the edge in his dad's voice and I smack my forehead guiltily.

"Oh," I realize stupidly. "Everything is fine. I'm sorry for worrying you, I just... I felt the baby kick."

I rub a slow circle over my skin, hoping for another reaction, but get none.

Sleeping, maybe, I conclude with a twinge of disappointment.

"You felt the baby kick?" Beau repeats slowly as if he's testing the words on his tongue. "That's a good thing, right?"

"Right," I smile to myself, still trying to coax another twitch out of the little one. "He's stopped now."

"He?" Beau catches immediately.