prologue

EMMA
8 Months Later

Pain. Horrible, cramping pain overtakes me, forcing a guttural cry from my lips. Squeezing hard on the rails of my hospital bed, so hard that my knuckles turn white from the pressure, I scan the room quickly, panting hard and unable to focus my eyes on any one face. There's so many people in the room, more than I thought there'd be, but for some reason, I don't care. I'm not sure that it's possible for me to care about anything right now.

My chest rises and falls quickly as the pressure builds and builds in my lower belly, the stabbing pains in my back becoming relentless. Soon, a hand slips into my own, urging me to squeeze when I need to.

Holy cow, I need to. Another scream tears through me, as the force intensifies in my lower abdomen, the ache deep in my back spreading up my spine. I squeeze so hard that I almost worry I'll break the persons' fingers off. Almost.

"Just breathe, Emma, you're doing great. Breathe through it." I hear the calming voice somewhere far away but can't say who it's coming from. Maybe the nurse who rushed me in.

I want to ask her if she'd like to try breathing through it, but instead I grit my teeth, my body tensed as I groan with my effort.

I try to do as I'm instructed, taking a long, shaky inhale before a new wave of angry pain rolls over me, pushing the air out of my lungs before I've even finished taking a breath. The waves crash into me, again and again, becoming more intense until they finally fade and I can relax once more. Eventually able to let out a slow exhale, I lessen my grip on whoever's fingers that I'm crushing, too tired to open my previously tightly shut eyes.

"Emma, can we do anything for you?" This voice, I recognize. Nadine is beside me then, and I feel a sudden rush of guilt for hurting her hand. If she's bothered, she doesn't let on, a concerned look over her eyes as she pats a damp wash cloth to my forehead, pushing strands of hair, slick with sweat, from my face.

On the other side, Gemma rubs my back in slow circles, murmuring soft "Sh, sh," sounds every time the pain begins to build, which is becoming more and more frequent as more time passes.

Can they do anything for me?

Panic. That's what I feel whenever the pain ebbs enough for me to pay a fraction of attention to anything else. I have Nadine here and Gemma, but in this moment, I feel alone. Is this feeling all that lies ahead of me?

As I ponder the question, a new wave of pressure rolls over me, screwing my eyes tightly shut and my jaw nearly locked closed. Instantly, Gemma's circles become more deliberate on my back, Nadine's hand firmer between my fingers. I try to steady my breathing, heat creeping up to my neck until I'm profusely sweating, my hospital gown sticking to my skin.

Breathe, Emma, breathe, I remind myself, forcing my lips apart and exhaling forcefully.

As this round of pain ebbs and fades to a dull throb moments later, my breath finally returning to normal along with it, I meet Nadine's eyes. As firmly as I can, I speak quickly before another wave of pain takes the ability away from me.

"Find Beau Lewis."

Thanks for sticking with me to Book Three! I'm so excited to keep sharing with you guys ❤️