Chapter Two

(A/N: Thank you for the feedback! I'll definitely include it. I'm super glad to be updating this! I love this story so far! I hope you feel the same way! ;D)

CHAPTER TWO

"We need to talk."

It was those words that put me off. It couldn't have been anything else. Well... His facial expression was definitely a contributing factor. Both of those things made me feel unnerved. What could possibly be so serious that he had to come to me, of all people, and at the same time pull that face on me? The face that made sure I knew he was strictly business. Yes. It was partly the face that stunned me into silence, the other part was his words.

I went to open my mouth, but coyly decided against it, and merely nodded.

His lips tightened as he turned to his left. It was only me intensifying my gaze that dragged him out of his trance. He looked back at me, serving me a platter of anticipation.

"We have a problem."

"We?"

"Yes, we."

I furrowed my eyebrow in confusion, but Clockwork did not press further on that matter. He carried on.

"It's the ghosts. They're all preparing to leave the Ghost Zone."

My eyes widened after I comprehended what he had said. "What?! But... There is no way out of the Ghost Zone..."

Clockwork kept a straight face, which I didn't even think a soulless goth would be able to pull off. "There will be."

I scoffed slightly. Not really in a mocking way, more in a sceptical way. "Okay, Clockwork, with all due respect... What are you tal-"

"There's a portal." He interrupted, and my eyes widened further, illuminating the walls with a bright green fluorescence. "It's being built. It's supposed to create a gateway, of sorts, between the Ghost Zone and Earth."

I was dumbfounded. I had always wanted to go back to Earth, and here was my chance! Why was this a problem, according to Clockwork?

I decided to voice my conception.

"Uh... Not that I'm the sharpest tool in the box, but why exactly is this a problem?"

Clockwork sighed. "I did not expect you to understand my concerns at first..."

For some reason, I wasn't offended. All I cared about was finding out more. If there would finally be a way out of the Ghost Zone...

"The Earth cannot handle a massive ghost invasion. Especially with their current position in evolution."

"Ok, what do you mean-"

"Fear. They will be afraid, and their world will fall apart. With so many ghosts invading at once, the balance between our two worlds will tilt at an alarming rate. There will be less of us in the Ghost Zone and more in the human world."

"Alright..." I said, still not quite sure where this was going. "And I'm involved how?"

"I don't know how to tell you this..." He sighed. "This involves you more than any other."

I kept as much of a straight face as I could, waiting for him to continue. Answer me... Tell me something useful!

"I understand you know about that you had a life before you died. A family, friends."

My eyes widened again and I nodded meekly. Of course I knew that... But why tell me this now? Was Clockwork really going to give me the answers to the questions I had been pestering him with for so long?