Chapter Six

(The pic in the media is just random scenes from this chapter and recent chapters. :D I love the song in the media, I don't know why. But I feel like it fits this story in one way or another. XD)

What I saw made my heart stop in its tracks.

CHAPTER SIX

JAZZ'S POV

Just... Laying there...

Lifeless.

My Mom instantly ran forward while the smoke slowly cleared. I could just about see her kneel beside the figure, lifting its head onto her lap.

The smoke had mostly cleared by now. I gasped, and so did my parents. It was... A boy. Almost my age, I was sure of it.

And that shade of raven black... I remembered that... I knew that from somewhere...

Mom looked up, desperation and tears in her eyes. "Jack... He's freezing..."

Dad ran over to her, perhaps faster than I thought his boisterous figure would have allowed. I didn't move. I couldn't.

Who was he? What was he doing here? I looked down at his chest, but it wasn't moving. Was he...

No. Don't think about that... He is. He has to be!

I didn't know why I cared so much... If it was anyone else, I still would have cared, but still... Admittedly, not this much. He felt dear to me, maybe more than my special Bearbert Einstein...

But why? Did I even know him?

Of course I didn't. He was just a random kid. Why would I know him?

Mom checked his pulse. We waited with bated breath.

"Faint," She said quietly. "But it's there."

I sighed in relief and ran to join my parents, but I didn't kneel, like they were. I just stood. It was then I noticed he was wearing a white jumpsuit with a black collar, belt, boots and gloves.

"Who is he?" I suddenly found myself asking.

"I don't know." Mom replied. She turned to Dad. "How did he even get in here, anyway?"

Dad shrugged and turned to the portal. "Well, at least the portal is working!"

If he was hoping to get a jovial response from that, he was very disappointed. Mom and I stared at him. Really, Dad? Some random kid comes in and he's lying here, unconscious, and that's all you could think to say? "The portal is working"?!

He rubbed the back of his neck at our glares. "Just... Uh... Thought it would lighten the mood."

"Then you were mistaken, weren't you?" said Mom, slowly standing up with the boy in his arms. "Wow, he's light."

That couldn't be good.

"Mom, if his pulse is faint, shouldn't we be taking him to the hospital? What are we going to do with him?"

She sighed. "Honey, don't worry, I don't think it's faint or slow enough for that. It will most likely restore itself on its own. And... I honestly don't know... I don't recognise his face from anywhere in town, and I have no idea who his parents are. And even if I did I wouldn't know where to find them."

Wow. Helpful.

I didn't know why I was acting so sarcastically uncaring, for I was exactly the opposite at that point.

"He looks like he's wearing that spare jumpsuit we keep in the store room..." she sighed. "I suppose we'll just have to keep him here until he wakes up. We can't do anything until he does."