Chapter Eleven

And... The moment just had to be spoiled...

We both heard a knock at the door. It was brisk and loud.

"Jazz? Daniel? Are you two alright in there?"

Jazz and I turned to each other in panic. "Uh..." I started, unsure of what to say.

"Yeah, we're fine, Mom!" Jazz answered for me, but I didn't want to breathe a sigh of relief just yet. I had forgotten the rabbit, who had now come to perch on my shoulder, probably sensing my panic and attempting to comfort me. However, the creature's presence only made me stiffen up more. How was I supposed to get rid of it? Wow, how did I not think this through?

"Are you two sure? I wouldn't want any arguments at dinner, after all."

"Yeah, Mo- I mean, Mrs. Fenton!" I stumbled over my words in alarm after I had realised my mistake.

"Sorry, what was that?" she called through the door.

"Oh, nothing! Nothing!" I responded quickly, sort of glad she hadn't heard that.

"Oh, okay, well, I'm making hot cocoa, do you two want any?"

"Uh... Sure Mom, thanks!" Jazz called.

Just when I breathed a sigh of relief thinking that she was going to leave, she shouted, "What's that green light in there?"

I panicked... Again. "W-What green light?" I said, maybe a little too quickly.

"I can see it from under the door, what's going on in there?"

"NOTHING, MOM!"

"Jasmine, I can see it! Is there a ghost in there?! Oh gosh... I'm coming in!"

I practically screamed, "NO, DON-!"

And just like that, she had opened the door. She looked first at Jazz, who was wide eyed, to me, who was the same, except I looked a lot more fearful. Then her eyes moved to the rabbit made of ghostly energy on my shoulder, and I think it must have been related to my fear, because the creature soon vanished in a soft whisp of green smoke.

I dared to look up at Maddie, who had a very ferocious expression of which I found incomprehensible. Was she ready to pull that gun from inside the pocket of her jumpsuit on me? (I had no idea how I could see that as it was inside her pocket. I just saw it, I don't know...) Or was she pondering whether to kick me out or dissect me?

A few minutes passed, and she was gaping at me, much like Jazz had. I could tell Jazz was looking sheepish and worried at what was going to happen at the same time.

Jazz stood up and stood in front of me, glaring at her mother. She had her hands in front of her, probably attempting to keep Maddie away from me until she had a mental hold on the situation. "Mom, it's okay. He's..." Jazz looked at me, I could see from her expression that she was begging me for help. "Uhm... A friend, yeah, let's go with that..."

Maddie opened her mouth, then closed it again, then opened it, and so on. After a while I was wondering whether she was ever going to speak. I was sort of hiding my face behind Jazz, lightly blushing. Then: "Jasmine... Could you move aside please?"

Jazz moved slightly, then stiffened. "Why, Mom?"

"Jasmine, please..."

"WHY, MOM?"

Maddie glared slightly at her daughter. "Jazz, I don't know if you noticed, but you're hiding a-"

"A ghost behind my back?" Jazz inquired, still glowering at her mother with a sort of fire in her eyes. "I know. Even though I... I never really believed you when you went on and on about ghosts before, this one is different. I can't see why you don't see that... He's-"