Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

I remember it well. My death. It was vivid, plaguing. But it happened. And the memory would never leave me.

Those interested in the field of ghosts all say that ghosts are... Well... Ghosts because of "unfinished business" or whatever. They say say each ghost has a purpose, a scheme, of sorts. An unhealthy obsession with something that happened, or perhaps something that didn't happen, before their death. Apparently, their memories of that moment, that labour they had to carry on their backs, never left them in death, and therefore they came back as ghosts, to finish what they started.

I've met many ghosts like that... Most of them are like that, actually. They're all obsessed. Especially the Box Ghost. I've encountered him many times, and when I do, he blabbers on about packaging, non-stop... It's almost never ending.

Some ghosts, like the Box Ghost, are most likely the reason why I would rather prefer to kill myself a second time, just to put myself out of my misery.

What? Oh. I guess I never told you, huh? Yeah... I'm a ghost. If that wasn't already obvious.

As far as I know, I've been a ghost for about... Ten years. Ever since my death, of course. And yet... I still have, as of yet, to figure out why I'm a ghost. I don't know my "purpose", I never have. I've pondered it way too much, to be honest, but I felt like I had to know.

I suppose it wouldn't make sense if I said that my obsession was trying to suss out why I was a ghost. Why I've been floating about in the Ghost Zone for ten years and have never found a clue.

And another important factor is: why have I aged?

Well, not techni... Uh... It's confusing. All I know is that since my death, I have been growing, as if I'm still human. And now, I would technically be fourteen years old in human years.

Wow... I've always wondered what life would be like if I never died. It would be good to know.

But then again, a lot of things would be good to know these days.

Oh, yeah! I almost forgot... I never told you my name.

Well... I technically don't have a name. Not that I'm sure of, anyway. I can't remember, for the life of me, what my name used to be... You know, before my death. I've asked a lot of ghosts around the Zone, and none of them have a clue either. They just came up with random names once they concluded that they were indeed ghosts.

However, I have pondered on... Phantom. Something like that, anyway. I know it's the most cliché thing you might have ever heard, but somehow, I had a weird feeling that it would fit. Well, if I wasn't full ghost, that is.

Oh... That would be amazing... If I was half-human... Or human at all. I might just be able to live a relatively normal life on Earth.

Earth...

I've always wanted to go back to Earth, but no matter how long or how hard I've searched, I've never found any way directly out of the Ghost Zone.

I'm beginning to think there isn't one. I've never found any ghost I was looking for at the time absent from their lair, or from the Zone. And perhaps there never will be a way out... I don't know.

And, to be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure anybody will.

Though, I have to admit, it is a bit pointless if you're a ghost with "unfinished business" on Earth, yet you're stuck in the Ghost Zone forever.

It's kind of dumb, really.

But hey, what am I? The Ghost God or whatever? Who am I to say anything about it? I'm not remotely special. I'm just part of the crowd, like every ghost here is.