Revelations and Secrets (10)

The next day started the same as any other. Mitch woke up, went for a run, did some weapons training, had breakfast and then worked on his solving mission. It was a beautiful day outside and Mitch decided that he should do some field work instead of just pushing paper around his desk. There was always a chance that he could stumble across something that could help him solve the case. Mitch tried not to go into town too often, he preferred to avoid the stares and glances that were sent to him by people who thought he was dead. Because of this, Mitch decided to go into the Preserve.

Making sure he had his glock in the waistband of his jeans and a small knife in his black combat boots. He decided to leave his car and run to the Preserve, a little extra exercise never hurt anyone. The drive to the Preserve normally took between 10-15 minutes, the run only took him 10 minutes because he didn't need to stick to the roads. The strong earthy smell enveloped him as soon as he stepped into the forest, the birds chirped happily in the trees, hidden by the dense green leaves adorning them.

Mitch stopped running and decided to walk through the woods, he didn't want to risk twisting his ankle on a branch or tree root. He'd always felt more relaxed when he was in nature, the risk of someone trying to kill him was always lower, mainly because of the lack of technology available to hack.

Walking through the woods allowed him to think without worrying about being interrupted. He always went back to the same train of thought. Would Katrina be proud of him? It was a question he wanted the answer to but at the same time dreaded what that answer would be. He had changed so much after her death, so much so that his own father nearly didn't recognise him.

Shortly after Mitch joined the FBI academy after graduating school, he went out on a drug raid in an abandoned warehouse in Washington. During the raid he was stabbed in the thigh and after the success of the mission, he had to go to a hospital. That was where he met her. She was the nurse who stitched him up and took care of him whilst he was there. They got talking and realised that they had a lot of things in common. Eventually Mitch plucked up the courage to ask her out on a date, to his utter delight she said yes.

Mitch had changed his name about a week into joining the academy, no one could say his real name and Stiles brought back too many memories. It was actually a doctor who came up with his new name. Mitch had to go for a routine check up to make sure that he was healthy, when he got there the doctor was obviously stumped on how to say his name. When he asked Mitch how to say it, he only managed to say the first half of Mieczylaw, hence the nickname 'Mitch'. It kind of stuck and soon that's what he was known as, no longer skinny defenceless Stiles, but strong independent Mitch.

No one from Beacon Hills bothered to keep in contact with him, apart from his dad. Mitch wasn't as dumb as the people in the pack thought he was, he could tell that they were taking him for granted. He was never invited to pack meetings, Scott only spoke to him when he needed research on a new supernatural threat in Beacon Hills etc.

Mitch was finally free of their bonds on the night of graduation. They'd all gone up on stage and had received their diplomas and whatnot, when Scott came over to Mitch and told him that there was a pack meeting on the following evening. This rang alarm bells in Mitch's head because he hadn't been invited to a pack meeting for several months and it seemed to come out of the blue. Nevertheless, Mitch went to the meeting in the evening like he was asked to.

Flashback to meeting

Mitch had just parked Roscoe outside of Derek's loft. He was sat in the driver's seat, tapping the steering wheel nervously. Mitch was really confused as to why he had been invited to this meeting, there were no supernatural threats as far as he knew and the pack hadn't bothered inviting him to any of the other meetings. He decided that he should just get it over with and go into the loft.