Chapter 16

The station was a mess.

Officers were running back and forth, constantly bumping into each other and scurrying to pick up loose papers.

There didn't seem to be an empty surface in sight. Every desk had papers or other objects scattered on them and if I didn't know any better I would have guessed the place was robbed or something.

I was so lost in the chaos that I almost forgot why I was there in the first place. However, the sharp pain in my chest quickly reminded me of my recent loss.

Just as I was about to ask someone what was going on, the chief himself scrambled over to me and, without saying a word, pulled me down the hallway and into an empty room.

It looked like one of the interrogation rooms.

He ushered me to sit down as he shut the door and sat down in the chair opposite of me.

"As much as I want to offer you my condolences for your loss- I know you and the detective were close- we don't have time for that. I need as much information from you as I can get. Did she say anything to you the last time you saw her or any time before that that could guide you in the direction of who could have done this?" The chief hurried out. He was clearly in a rush, and something about him made it seem like he was worried. Maybe he was worried the case would turn cold?

I feared how my response would impact him and as much as I wanted to tell him about the money and the address that the detective gave me, something told me I shouldn't. Instead, I put on my best acting face and told the best lie I could.

"I'm sorry sir, all she told me was that she was afraid she'd become a target after going on TV but she never said anything about who might target her. My best guess is that it's probably whoever was behind the murders," I replied solemnly.

The chief sighed.

"How much do you know? Did you two manage to find a lead at all? Anything that could point you towards who did it?" He questioned.

"No sir, I'm sorry. We questioned several residents and their family members as well as workers too but almost everyone's alibis came back clear. I wish I could tell you we had something, anything, but we didn't...." I trailed off.

He sighed again.

"Alright. Then I guess that's all I need from you," he responded.

"Can I- can I ask what happened....I mean....how she was killed? Was it at least a painless death?" I asked, hoping the detective didn't have to suffer.

The chiefs expression turned dark.

"Her hotel room was broken into. She was working at a desk when it happened and it caught her off guard. She was hit in the head with something heavy but that wasn't the cause of death, whatever she was hit with didn't knock her out and she proceeded to put up a fight. However, it wasn't enough and she suffered multiple stab wounds as well as bruises from a rope that was held around her neck in an attempt to strangle her. Whether she bled out of suffocated first is unknown but it was likely very...very painful," he explained.

I gasped at the picture that was drawn in my mind.

"Do we know anything? I mean surely they found DNA at the scene or at least some kind of evidence," I replied.

"There was nothing. Killer cleaned everything up perfectly. Not a trace of evidence left behind," he said.

I shook my head in disbelief.

"That being said, (Y/N), I think it's best you stop working here. You're too young to be working this case and it's much to risky. And if something happens to you, the press will have a party if they find out a 17 year old was allowed to work this case and ended up dead. You can come back when you turn 18 if you want, but I highly advise you against it. Right now, it sounds like you don't know anything of value. You haven't been on TV and the killers likely don't know you exist. I think it's best we keep it that way, for your own safety," he advised me.

I couldn't believe his words, but nevertheless I nodded in agreement. There wasn't anything I could do and perhaps he was right in some way or another. It's probably be best for me to take a step back for a bit.

He escorted me to the exit and wished me a safe drive home. I opened the door only to be met with a dark sky and lifeless streets. I must have been at the station for quite some time.

I hid my face behind my hood and hurried back to my vehicle.

I sighed.

What now?

I drove home slowly, not wanting to face anything. Eventually however, I pulled into the driveway and walked into the house.

Empty.

That's what the house was. That's how I felt. That's how the case seemed.

I dropped myself onto the couch and held my face in my hands.

I couldn't believe she was gone.

The tears rolled down my face, a silent flood.

I must have cried on the couch for hours.

Eventually, I wiped my tears and stood up. I walked into the kitchen and pulled open the window.

I needed the fresh air.

And just as I opened the window, my phone began to ring.

It was my mom.

I sighed and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"(Y/N)... honey....how are you doing? Are you okay? I....I heard about the detective. She was the one you were working with right? It was all over the news. (Y/N)..... I think it'd be best if you came home for a while. I don't think it's safe for you there anymore....I already booked you a flight for next week. Start packing your bags, okay?"

"Yeah... I think you're right. I should come home for a while. I'll start packing tomorrow. I love you."

"I love you too. Stay safe."

"I will."

EJ's POV:

I had heard everything.

She was leaving.

I wasn't sure whether to be relieved or even more stressed.

Then again, she was just a girl.

Her kidneys though.....

I frowned.

I couldn't allow it. She couldn't go home.

I sighed.

Perhaps it would be best to allow her to go home for now.

I'll find a way to bring her back here when the time is right.

With that thought in mind, I watched over her with newfound determination.

No one would hurt her tonight, or any other night for that matter.

I needed her for the case.

And also for her kidneys.

Tasty kidneys.....

My mouth began to water.

My stomach growled.

I sighed in frustration.

Maybe the hunger was starting to get to me.  For a second there it almost sounded like I cared about the girl. Ha.

The only thing I care about is eating her kidneys.

Nothing else.

•••••
1200 words
Thoughts? Comments?
Normally I'd wait until I have the next chapter written to post this, but you've all been waiting so patiently so I'll try to get the next chapter done as soon as possible. Much love <3
Unedited