Chapter 10

(y/n)'s pov:

"Ok? That's it?" he asked me.

I nodded my head.

"You could say we're kind of in a similar situation," I admitted. "My aunt was also one of the victims. I was so upset that all I wanted was to find out who killed her and make them pay. So, I ended up at the police station and I somehow convinced the detective to let me help her. Technically, I shouldn't be though, because I'm not 18 yet, so if anyone found out, there could be trouble," I explained.

When he didn't say anything I decided to continue.

"So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not going to call the cops on you because I understand where you're coming from," I finished.

He nodded his head in understanding.

"So, have you found out any information? Any clues as to who did it?" He questioned.

I sighed and shook my head.

"The only possible lead we have right now is that whoever did it had access to the apartment keys," I replied.

"What about you? Have you found anything?" I asked.

"No, I just started looking today. But uh... I can tell you that almost anyone can get access to the keys. It wasn't hard at all for me to steal the janitor's closet keys from the janitor. Maybe that's just me but... it's something to consider," he told me.

"I didn't think about that..." I trailed off. Then, I got an idea. "Hey, what if we stayed in touch? Like we exchanged numbers and we shared any information we find. That way, I'm sure we could find the killer much faster," I suggested eagerly.

He seemed to think about it for a moment before he nodded his head.

"I don't have my phone on me right now... I kind of left it at home, but you can give me your number and I'll text you once I get my phone," he responded.

I nodded and motioned for him to hand me some paper. He handed me the clipboard and a pen and I immediately wrote my number down.

After that, I told him that he'd better leave before the detective came. I assured him that I would cover for him if she asked any questions, and with that, we went our separate ways.

I walked out of the apartment and back to where I last saw the detective. Just as I walked in, she was putting her phone away.

"Okay, they said they'd fax the employee information to the police department, so we'd better get going," she instructed, leading the way out of the apartment.

On the way there, I told her what the guy had told me, that the janitors had access to the keys and usually worked at night. Then, I told her that I asked for his alibi and it checked out. It was around this time that I realized I had forgotten to ask for his name, but I figured I could ask once he texted me.

We walked into the police station and the detective immediately went to grab the employee information. From there, we went to sit down and review it.

"Here's my plan: we call every employee on this list and ask for their alibi on the night the murders occurred. We write it down and mark the names of people who don't have strong alibis," the detective explained to me.

Just as I was about to ask a question, the head police officer walked over to us and started talking to the detective.

"The public is started to get uneasy about this whole case. We haven't updated them on how far we've gotten and fear is spreading fast. I've arranged a news interview and I want you to ease their worries," he informed her.

She looked at me and then back at him.

"(Y/n), you can head home while I talk about this with him. I'll go ahead and call some employees and get their alibis tonight and you can just come back tomorrow and help me then," she said.

I nodded my head and wished her a good night before I headed home.

I wanted to start checking alibis, but I figured she had a reason for sending me home, so I didn't argue.

When I got home, I checked my phone and saw a message from an unknown number.

Unknown: This is the janitor guy, we met earlier. You can save my number now.

Ah, so it was him.

Just as I was about to text him back and ask for his name, my phone lit up with an incoming call.

It was my mom.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hi sweetie, how are you? Are you doing alright?"

"Yes mom, I'm okay," I replied.

"Well I just wanted to call you and let you know that I'm going to buy a plane ticket for you to come back home soon, okay?"

My heart dropped.

"Wait mom, you cant do that!"

"Why not? You need to come home."

"I- I can't come home yet because I'm helping with an investigation. The lead detective she- she uh asked for me to help out a little...."

"What are you helping with?"

"I'm sorry mom, but I'm not allowed to share the details."

"Okay, well, what about school? You know it's starting soon and they can't keep you from getting an education."

"Mom... it's just... I really want to help out with this. I feel like I owe it (aunts/name). Maybe I could try homeschooling?"

"Homeschooling? This is your last year of high school before you graduate! What about all the things you'll miss?"

"I don't have to be homeschooled the whole year, mom. What if I just did a semester? That way I can still go to prom and participate and other stuff."

My mom went silent for a few moments. I held my breath, hoping that my persuasive skills were effective.

"Okay... but! You can only stay for a semester and if the case is finished early or postponed or even closed, then I want you to come home as soon as that happens."

"Really? I promise you won't regret this mom! I'll make sure to stay ahead of all my classes and I'll keep you as updated as I can!" I cheered.

"Okay (y/n), you better. I'll start signing you up tomorrow morning and I'll send you all the information, okay?"

"Okay mom, thanks again! I love you!"

"I love you too," she replied before hanging up.

I smiled as I set my phone down.

Now, I wanted to find the killers even more than I did before.

I had to find them.

I went to the kitchen to find a quick meal and as I was making it, my thoughts swerved into memories of last night.

I peeked out the window and peered into the backyard. My eyes searched for any sign of whoever was there last night, but there was nothing.

I let out a breath of relief.

That's when I remembered the text message I had received.

I quickly ate my food and got ready for bed. Before I went to sleep, I pulled out my phone and sent the guy a text back.

Me: okay I'll save your number right now! what should I save your contact as? You can save mine as (y/n) : )

•••••
1236 words
Things are going to start spicing up soon.
Unedited